No announcement yet.

From knowing nothing to having a Thunderbird supercharger on an m20b27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to Jason at the Brodeo - hopefully he'll be there. He has a supercharged M20.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Great and good? Well thanks. Are you gonna try to sell me a kitchen?

Edit: Post I was referring to was removed. Stupid advertisers...
      Last edited by Ether-D; 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM.
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nope - oil.

Also, lol.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

This is the one. From the Previa. Naysayers gonna say nay. Also, I'm gonna keep a/c and power steering.
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
            http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sc14+...0&tx=130&ty=65

This is the one. From the Previa. Naysayers gonna say nay. Also, I'm gonna keep a/c and power steering.
            You have to look at its efficiency maps, that looks too small for an m20. A little goggling and I saw some on m10s, Im willing to bet that is too small.

Comment

What's your definition of "too small"? I bet mine differs from yours.
              This toyota charger (sc14) produces 1400cc per revolution, an eaton M90 produces 1474cc per rev. I know there's more to it than just this, but this thing is capable of giving gains. I want mild gains and reliability. I'm keeping ac and power steering. The eatons are too big for that. Plus, their snouts are a mile long. Thanks for your advice though.

edit: The sc14 can spin to 10000rpm regularly with "occasional" spikes to 13000rpm. I like this guys math example
              "Geared 2:1, the SC14 provides 1.4 times the intake requirement of a 4 litre engine at 100% volumetric efficiency, or 1.4 atmospheres... 1.4 bar of absolute pressure in other words, or 0.4 bar of gauge pressure. In PSI this is 0.4 * 14.7 or 5.88psi of boost."
              -on a 4 liter.
              Last edited by Ether-D; 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Run an eaton m62 or m90. Run the v-belt. Get a turbo charging dynamicd chip to retard timing then put in 22-24 lb. inectors. cut the hood out to make room. get a wideband o2 sensor to monitor afr. cut the catalytic out.

Comment

Now thats down to the brass tacks. Thanks for the info.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'll be shifting into, what is it 4th gear now? Or is it downshifting back to first? I bought the eaton m90 from the thunderbird supercoupe guy on CL. He dropped the price to a cool hundy and I had to do it. Came with intercooler and all piping, throttle body and bypass valve, and best of all it had an aftermarket aluminum pulley that's $110 online. I think i just got paid $10 to take that blower. More as it becomes available...
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

So I've been messing around a bit in the ole shop. I've got the intake manifold mocked up with the supercoupe M90, and I have that mounted to my spare motor. I've got the pulley setup conceptualized and bench (engine stand) tested. I need to weld up a real manifold now and finish the pulley system. Then on to plumbing, injectors, and management. :shock:
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                        I've got the intake manifold mocked up with the supercoupe M90, and I have that mounted to my spare motor. I've got the pulley setup conceptualized and bench (engine stand) tested.
                        Pic of mockup?

Comment

Perhaps the most important aspect is pulleys. Look in to how much its going to cost to do the serpentine belt conversion.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

My manifold is made of silver-painted black walnut right now. But it serves its purpose.
                            Last edited by Ether-D; 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Why not mount the supercharger with outlet facing down so you can plumb in an intercooler. Those chargers are known to make heat. Also, not mounting to the intake saves you from making a custom intake.

If you dont care about air conditioning, move the alternator to the passenger side then you have more room.

Delete power steering or add MR2 electric, then can move the power steering pump also.

Comment

It won't make excessive heat if it's not being maxed out. I also don't want a mess of plumbing. This way is clean, and I am keeping all acc in their factory locations. Getting rid of the factory intake makes so much room.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X