No announcement yet.

The Welding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant really input much on hoods, other than to say my pancake will last me life time more than likely.... Not bulky, not hot and cumbersome to wear, I love it. Best of all a welder friend of mine got it for me, as a thanks for helping him fix his truck on our only day off in 2 and a half months.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

I called a LWS and priced out a 125cuft cylinder filled with Argon for $248 after tax. After that it is $38 a refill. Sound about right?
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
        I called a LWS and priced out a 125cuft cylinder filled with Argon for $248 after tax. After that it is $38 a refill. Sound about right?
        That seems about right for the sale, $38 is pretty cheap for a 125 Argon around my area, so good deal on that!

We don't even sell anything above an 80cf cylinder and that sells at $199 filled.
        -Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

Cool beans. I will check Praxair or whatever they are called on the way to work. The guy at the small shop I got the price above from was way nicer than the Yelp reviews said. I just told him outright that I am a hobbyist and that I will never be a big customer. He seemed understanding of that.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            cant really input much on hoods, other than to say my pancake will last me life time more than likely.... Not bulky, not hot and cumbersome to wear, I love it. Best of all a welder friend of mine got it for me, as a thanks for helping him fix his truck on our only day off in 2 and a half months.
            Never had the pleasure of using a pancake. welding in a shop with people on either side it wasn't really an option unless you were looking for some flashburn.

Look on CL for estate sales and actions at farms or industrial businesses. I picked up a 125 and a 300 tank for $250 at one. Test date was shot so I had to pay that fee ($10 a bottle here in Omaha). Good way to get into some big tanks for less money.
            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

My only fear is that I would be buying an already leased tank and as I understand it, then I would be throwing money away. Local prices aren't very good right now either.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Well that would be a concern if it had a barcode sticker on it. That how the companies around here track leasing now. if it does.....pull the sticker off. Than there is no way to identify the tank.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                  Well that would be a concern if it had a barcode sticker on it. That how the companies around here track leasing now. if it does.....pull the sticker off. Than there is no way to identify the tank.
                  They don't stamp the neck of the bottles anymore?

I called Praxair and they are much more expensive than the other place I called. I will call Airgas and give them a shot too.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I called Praxair and they are much more expensive than the other place I called. I will call Airgas and give them a shot too.
                    Unless they have changed things drastically all that stamp indicates is the test date of the bottle. It has nothing to do with the leasing of it. Our local suppliers started to put bar code stickers on your bottle so it ties you too it. Red2.4srt can probably clarify but the number indicates the date tested, so in 5 years it needs to be retested, unless it has a + next to it which gives it 10 years. I could be wrong on the duration's but it's something along those lines.
                    sigpic

Comment

everyone freaks out about leased bottles. if you can get your hands on one cheap, just take it in to the gas store whose name is on it and have it refilled. i bet i have 8 or 10 bottles of various size, ownership and age. i have NEVER had a problem getting one refilled. even if i have an owner bottle, it always gets traded out with an "airgas" bottle when i take it back to the store. i have never worried about it and no one has ever given me the slightest bother. some old farmer gave me a 240cf cylinder once. it was pretty rusty from sitting around outside for years. the last inspection date i could find was 1927. the earliest was around 1911. i paid the fee for inspection(i think it was around 15 bucks) and it came back with a new stamp saying it was good for 5 more years and a new coat of paint. what i am saying is that i don't think they fail very often.

also, acetylene cylinders are a different animal, but the high pressure cylinders are all the same except for the valve. lets say you get a cylinder with the wrong valve, you can usually just trade it out at the gas store for the one you need.

one more note: i started out with 60 or 80 cf cylinders that came from craigslist or ebay. at any rate they were really cheap i thought they were a little small. every time i took the cylinders back to be filled, they allowed me to trade up one size. they never charged me more money for the cylincer but only for the extra volume of gas. i now have 2 160cf(maybe 120) filled with c25 for the mig and 2 160's filled with argon for the tig.

it is really nice to have a spare bottle laying around so that when you are in the middle of a project, you don't have to stop what you are doing to get a refill.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Never had the pleasure of using a pancake. welding in a shop with people on either side it wasn't really an option unless you were looking for some flashburn.

I dont really see how you can get flash burn form a good pancake. There is a wooden frame/box on the inside that you sand and tailor to fit your face around your eyes,

like this

Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          I dont really see how you can get flash burn form a good pancake. There is a wooden frame/box on the inside that you sand and tailor to fit your face around your eyes,

like this

its all in what you get used to i guess, but i don't think i would be able to get used to that. i have an older auto dimming hood. every now and then i buy a new clear lens cover for it and put a new aaa battery in the holder. i have the friction set so i can just give my head a quick nod downward and it lowers itself into position perfectly so i can start welding without disturbing my position.

i think the mask above is really cool, but i couldn't imagine getting it in place and then attempting to get yourself back in position while trying to tig something.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

So this guy is selling two 300 tanks for $100 bucks. If I don't want a 300 but want a 150 or so, I should be able to trade this in, right?

Edit: The guy said it has West Air stamped on the ring.
                            Last edited by marshallnoise; 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Airgas most likely won't sell you anything above an 80cf cylinder, although sometimes managers can make exceptions. Hopefully they can for you, but i'm not sure the price will beat the one you already received.

Unless they have changed things drastically all that stamp indicates is the test date of the bottle. It has nothing to do with the leasing of it. Our local suppliers started to put bar code stickers on your bottle so it ties you too it. Red2.4srt can probably clarify but the number indicates the date tested, so in 5 years it needs to be retested, unless it has a + next to it which gives it 10 years. I could be wrong on the duration's but it's something along those lines.
                              You're exactly right, test dates will show as 11 14+*, the first number being the month and the second being the year. There should be a grouping of 4 letters/numbers arranged in a square between the month and year which designate the testing facility. The + means it can be 10% overfilled and the * would signify a 10 year retest. If it doesn't have a *, it's considered a 5 year retest only.
                              -Todd

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                everyone freaks out about leased bottles. if you can get your hands on one cheap, just take it in to the gas store whose name is on it and have it refilled. i bet i have 8 or 10 bottles of various size, ownership and age. i have NEVER had a problem getting one refilled. even if i have an owner bottle, it always gets traded out with an "airgas" bottle when i take it back to the store. i have never worried about it and no one has ever given me the slightest bother. some old farmer gave me a 240cf cylinder once. it was pretty rusty from sitting around outside for years. the last inspection date i could find was 1927. the earliest was around 1911. i paid the fee for inspection(i think it was around 15 bucks) and it came back with a new stamp saying it was good for 5 more years and a new coat of paint. what i am saying is that i don't think they fail very often.

also, acetylene cylinders are a different animal, but the high pressure cylinders are all the same except for the valve. lets say you get a cylinder with the wrong valve, you can usually just trade it out at the gas store for the one you need.

one more note: i started out with 60 or 80 cf cylinders that came from craigslist or ebay. at any rate they were really cheap i thought they were a little small. every time i took the cylinders back to be filled, they allowed me to trade up one size. they never charged me more money for the cylincer but only for the extra volume of gas. i now have 2 160cf(maybe 120) filled with c25 for the mig and 2 160's filled with argon for the tig.

it is really nice to have a spare bottle laying around so that when you are in the middle of a project, you don't have to stop what you are doing to get a refill.
                                That's a great idea as well, most places wont take competitor cylinders as they could be potential lease/rental cylinders and they rightfully can't refill them since they aren't their property. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I see plenty of Prax cylinders with our fill labels on them and vice versa.

I generally try to get my customers to swap their customer owned cylinders to keep them from paying any test fees. They still own that asset, but only pay for the fill and they'll never have to worry about retesting since they're getting circulated cylinders everytime.

They do rarely fail but boy do they raise some hell when they do. We had the bottom of a 60cf AR/CD mix fail at 1600psi while filling and it knocked the other 27 cylinders down it was filling next to, put a 3 foot wide hole in a metal deck roof and finally landed 75 yards into the next property, buried valve down and a foot deep in the ground. Single loudest noise i've ever heard in my 28 years on earth.

So this guy is selling two 300 tanks for $100 bucks. If I don't want a 300 but want a 150 or so, I should be able to trade this in, right?

Edit: The guy said it has West Air stamped on the ring.
                                That's certainly a viable option and it's a damn good price too!
                                -Todd

Comment

Working...
                                X