No announcement yet.

Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So mini update pics to follow. I crammed the, freshly freshened, ZF320 in and after much massaging I got the Driveshaft adapter to work barely. I also installed the Solid motor mounts (CONDOR), the DSSR, the AKG Shifter installed the new slave cylinder and put the car all back together. First impressions of the ZF320 are that I was stupid for not doing it in the first place. Much better transmission than the Getrag ever was. First impressions of the Motor mounts is that there is only a little vibration at low speed under load, other than that they are almost unnoticeable (probably because everything else is solid). First impressions for the shift are that this is the shift that has been missing all my life. That AKG shifter is F$cking magic. It is so crisp and positive. No the ZF trans is even shorter in gear than the G260 that I took out and I have yet to swap my 3.25lsd or my chromoly axel shafts in so you can imagine how often I am shifting but the shifter (other than a bit of rattle) is amazing. Gonna drive a for a bit with 8-10psi and 3.73s with a ZF just for burnout fun and swap the 3.25 in with the new axle shafts. I may need even more gear than the 3.25 so I may be on the prowl for a 2.93 lsd.

Last edited by BMW_TUNER; 05-05-2017, 10:56 AM.
    1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
    5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Awesome progress!! Love this build. I have the same slight rattle issue with my AKG shifter. Tried grease, a thicker rubber underneath, rebalanced driveshaft, etc. with no luck. Let me know if you find a fix.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
      Instagram:
      https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
      LS Build Thread:
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Well tragedy struck the little S50 yesterday. It spun a bearing, based off the noise its making now probably rod bearing. Strange thing is that it never had an oil pressure event or issue. It had instant oil pressure, achiles pump. It threw no codes it just started to rattle deep and RPM based after a 13psi pull. I hate to say it but I think I am going back to N/A. I will update the thread for the good of all of those who care to travel this road and learn from my mistakes. Wish me luck and look for my for sale thread.

Comment

man, that blows...I have been debating jumping directly into a turbo build as I am swapping my m52 into my car. I'm a bit antsy to start enjoying the car and whenever I here stories like this I think I maybe should just hold off, sort the car first, enjoy it a bit, and then lookin into doing a turbo build...

Comment

For Sale Post is coming. I will be selling the entire S50, reworked and ported head, pistons if they aren't damaged, rods if they aren't damaged etc, The whole turbo setup and all parts and pieces that go with it, except for the Engine mounting arms and the External FPR. Otherwise it will all be up for grabs. I am working on a tunes S54 to replace it and then I will go down the road of making that balance out the car.

Comment

That bums me out, turbos can be finicky.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
                That bums me out, turbos can be finicky.
                Yeah I didn't even get the axle shafts in yet. Haha. I suspects that something failed bearing wise, which sucks because I had everything spec'ed to at the machine shop and even used the super expensive king bearings. The S54 won't be as temperamental hopefully. I have a friend making big numbers on a custom cam setup S54 at altitude. So it is definitely possible to hit my hp number with the S54 and spin it to 8250 or maybe do work and spin it to 8500.:devil:

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
                  I have the S54 housing also. They make an AN adapter so you can do a really clean setup with an aftermarket core. Sorry, I don't have any good pics of the adapter setup. PM me if you really want some.
                  Fan setup looks awesome! Had to go the same route on my 24v cause my 16" wouldnt fit in the usual spot. I'd love to get some of those fan mounts you have if you have any more of them!

Comment

Turbo time for my S50 on a "budget"

Originally posted by Maad325 View Post
                    Fan setup looks awesome! Had to go the same route on my 24v cause my 16" wouldnt fit in the usual spot. I'd love to get some of those fan mounts you have if you have any more of them!
                    Pretty sure those are the Massive brackets, here is a link to something similar on their site:

Hope that helps!

Dgerry

Comment

Originally posted by Dgerry View Post
                      Pretty sure those are the Massive brackets, here is a link to something similar on their site:

Hope that helps!

Dgerry
                      Awesome! Was looking for another way to mount my fan closer and a bit more secure so it'll work properly

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Maad325 View Post
                        Awesome! Was looking for another way to mount my fan closer and a bit more secure so it'll work properly

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
                        Sorry to hear about your engine. Sub'd for great information.
                        sigpic
                        Gun control means using both hands
                        Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
                          Sorry to hear about your engine. Sub'd for great information.
                          Thanks, According to the people who love me it was probably a blessing as the engine made violent power. I am only half joking when I say that it was trying to kill me.

Comment

Damn sorry to hear the bad news. Super clean and meticulous build though. Impfessive. Have you taken the motor apart yet to definitively say what went wrong? Also, will you continue to update this thread with s54 content?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
                              Thanks, According to the people who love me it was probably a blessing as the engine made violent power. I am only half joking when I say that it was trying to kill me.
                              Well I don't doubt that.

How did you have your oil drain setup for your turbo? Did it go through a pump or just gravity drain to the pan?

I am probably going to ask you a million questions about your setup.

If you are moving away from the s50 platform to the s54 you should sell some of your parts :)
                              Last edited by Dagamus(NM); 06-27-2017, 10:25 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Gun control means using both hands
                              Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                Damn sorry to hear the bad news. Super clean and meticulous build though. Impfessive. Have you taken the motor apart yet to definitively say what went wrong? Also, will you continue to update this thread with s54 content?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                                I will update as I swap over but then the thread needs to go to the S54 side. HAHA.

Comment

Working...
                                X