Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just another 325IX repair thread (Now with more TURBO!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! I'd say my dad and I get about half of our stuff from rock auto. Cheap prices and never let us down.
    89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
    I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Thank goodness for friends with lifts. This was a heck of a job.

Mostly because the shop decided they knew better and welded the exhaust as one piece, rather than listen to me and make a joint so my life wouldnt be a living hell.

ANYWAY! After hacking that off it was a straight forward job. Remove the driveshaft, remove the filter, unhook everything up top unbolt and she came straight down. We transferred everything over and even wire brushed and painted the hard line that feeds to the drivers side.

Lets see if we can find the leak.....

yep, that'll do it. When I would fill my tank more than 3/4 of the way it would leak out there. This would instantly fail when the DMV attempts to pressurize the tank.

Next up the passenger front had a bit of a clunk. Turns out the inner tie rod developed enough play. The PO must have diagnosed this in the past because I had a spare in my parts box. Woohoo! A few extra minutes on the alignment rack and she drives straight as an arrow.

Next up on the maintenance list is a full rear brake refresh to get the emergency brake functional. Then autocross prep the suspension
      Last edited by driftxsequence; 03-18-2017, 08:29 PM.
      325IX Build Thread
      RX7 Build Thread

Comment

How hard was the tank to get off? Sounds pretty simple and looks simple enough. Was driving mine around earlier today and smelled gas in the cabin after getting a full tank so I might have a rust hole in the same spot as you :(

I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

I have a full tank and now I've been getting gas smells in the car I didnt have before either. Strangely enough, it didnt fail the leak down test at the DMV....I'm not sure what is causing it. Maybe the evap hose to the charcoal cannister?

The job was very simple. take off your exhaust, take out the rear shaft and you have full access to the tank. Take off your filter and then theres 5 13mm bolts holding it up. Try to get it as empty as possible!
          325IX Build Thread
          RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Yeah either that or you somehow buggered up the o-rings when you switched the sending unit and fuel pump. I mean there are only a few connections on the tank so at least trouble shooting isn't that hard! how did you go about draining the tank before pulling it?

Comment

Drive it till the light comes on LOL
              325IX Build Thread
              RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                Drive it till the light comes on LOL

Haha fair enough. Looks like I got some work to do :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like I toasted the motor. put in a tune file and chip. started it and it ran like poo for a minuite, reeked of fuel. pulled injectors to test them. all seemed okay. put it back together, cranked it and heard a boom like a backfire or something. now it has a very loud tick :(

I guess the turbo motor is happening sooner than planned...
                  325IX Build Thread
                  RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Been a while...Slowly been working on tearing the car apart amongst the other projects going on. I windowed the block on number 6. Hoping the head is salvageable.

I got a little bit of time to remove the exhaust and mock up the turbo manifold. It should fit with a little persuasion from a hammer and movement of the oil cooler lines. Are there oil filter relocation kits? That would be a huge help.

325IX Build Thread
                    RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Holy crap that's a decent bit of damage. A bad tune did that?

I almost just replied to your fb post about this. There are tons of oil filter relocation kits all over ebay. Some even have thermostats like the stock housing. Get the eta oil filter adapter and any relocation kit will screw on to it. #11112140435

AWD > RWD

Comment

Too lazy to post the pictures individually here from mobile, I added comments to the imgur link.

Build will be as follows:
                        Stock M20B25
                        ARP studs
                        Cxracing rev2 manifold
                        Holset h1c
                        Mspnp megasquirt
                        Spec stage 2.5 clutch

325ix rebuild https://imgur.com/gallery/KMGR1
                        325IX Build Thread
                        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

With photobucket being a pain, I'm trying to find a replacement upload service...you'll have to manually click on the photos for now...everytime i upload the pictures they blow up to a huge size and I dont think anyone wants that.

Time to go back in!

We lifted the body as high as the jack stands would go and slid the drivetrain under on wheel dollies. Then we lowered the chassis all the way down, and lifted the motor with a cherry picker till we got the subframe lined up.

a long day later...

and much more assembly completed....

Here is how I relocated the oil filter. simple L bracket, 325e oil nut, and the summit relocation kit. It didnt occur to me till after I made the lines that I forgot to incorporate the oil cooler.... the lines will be redone in AN fittings soon. I really want to get 90's on there so its away from the exhaust manifold.

money shot

325IX Build Thread
                          RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Got a bunch of little stuff done. Turbo has been rebuilt, intercooler pipes are mocked up and ready for finishing. I thought I had the megasquirt mounted, but I need to turn it 90* so that it can have the bluetooth module sitting off the back. woops. I'm on the home stretch. Fingers crossed I can get it started by the end of the month!
                            325IX Build Thread
                            RX7 Build Thread

Comment

First drive

E30 m20 bmw 325ix turbo h1c open wastegate 7psi megasquirt
                              325IX Build Thread
                              RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Nice, need more info and pics since the photovucket link is down. I would have suggested not going with the cxracing manifold, but it works.
                                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Working...
                                X