brown top coolant temp sensor too big for s52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brown top coolant temp sensor too big for s52

Ok I have looked on here for quite a bit but could not find a real answer.

I have a 96 s52. The head only has 2 ports in the side (most I see on here people have 3?) on the stock s52 there was one sensor and one fitting for the throttle body heater

For the e30 to read the coolant temp everyone says to use the brown top sensor from e30. Problem is the brown top sensor threads are too big for the head.

Which sensor do I use to fit my head to make it work with my e30? I didn't realize there are 2 different s52 heads? Is there an adapter?

let me know. Thanks!
    Race German
    Automotive clothing from your favorite brands included: CAtuned,
    UUC, Garagistic, Revshift, Moar Designs, Condor Speed Shop,
    Neue Motorsports, Bimmerheads, Motorsports Hardware and more.
    Also offer track decals for any track in the world.

:thankyou:

Drill and tap or use adapter off the hose.
    sigpic
    HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
    " enjoy the show "

Comment

Thanks, ended up rethreading the sensor, because I was too scared to tap the head
      Race German

Comment

Originally posted by six2midnight View Post
        Thanks, ended up rethreading the sensor, because I was too scared to tap the head
        Careful with this- as retapping the e30 sensor sometimes doesn't make the greatest of seals when threaded back into the head.

Don't be afraid of retapping the head for the e30- just take your time and use a vacuum to pickup any shavings. This way you won't have to worry about it leaking. Just set it and forget it!

Any shavings that fell into the head is OK- as it is just the coolant side and won't get stuck anywhere with a good hose flush.
        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
        '95 BMW e34 525i
        '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
        '92 Range Rover Classic
        '90 Range Rover Classic
        '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
        '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
        '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
        '67 Pontiac LeMans
        '24 Model T Depot Hack
        ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
          Careful with this- as retapping the e30 sensor sometimes doesn't make the greatest of seals when threaded back into the head.

Don't be afraid of retapping the head for the e30- just take your time and use a vacuum to pickup any shavings. This way you won't have to worry about it leaking. Just set it and forget it!

Any shavings that fell into the head is OK- as it is just the coolant side and won't get stuck anywhere with a good hose flush.
          Thanks! I already tapped the new sensor, so Ill see if this leaks before trying to tap the head. Ruining a 5 dollar sensor seemed like a better starting point haha. ;D
          Race German

Comment

If you decide to not use the throttle body heater (not needed in warmer climates), the brown sensor should fit right in without any modifications.
            PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X