Clutch pedal too soft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch pedal too soft.

So I finally got my gearbox in the car after dealing with two crappy 4hp-22 autotragics. I originally bought an auto because at the time for the amount of money I had to spend on my first car was not much and I couldn't find manual coupes or even sedans for under 4K (e30 tax -_-). I pulled the trigger on my sedan which WAS an "all number matching car with original clean paint" for 400 bucks.

Skip two years later and I bought the pedal box, driveshaft, little misc. parts, etc...

I also went ahead and went with new master, slave, new clutch kit by LUK, 30mm Sachs throwout bearing (to compensate for using a single mass flywheel In a late "eta" box), garagistic 95A poly mounts, garagistic stainless hose, new clutch hard and soft line, pivot pin, and all the little clutch and shifter assembly parts are new.

The problem is my clutch grabs at 96-98% and there isn't a lot of tension on the pedal it too light I have driven two other manual e30s after mine has been swapped. The other two felt identical to each other.

It just bothers me that I have spend ALOT of money to "do it right" and it didn't come out "right".

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    -Argad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going to sound crazy, but...
    sit in the driver's seat, and stomp the clutch a bunch. Fast.
    Like you're really mad at it.

The clutch is, in theory, somewhat self- bleeding, and
    a bunch of pumping can get the air to start heading back
    up out of the master. Sometimes.

If that doesn't do it, bleed, bleed, and bleed again.

What I got,
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      This is going to sound crazy, but...
      sit in the driver's seat, and stomp the clutch a bunch. Fast.
      Like you're really mad at it.

The clutch is, in theory, somewhat self- bleeding, and
      a bunch of pumping can get the air to start heading back
      up out of the master. Sometimes.

If that doesn't do it, bleed, bleed, and bleed again.

What I got,
      t

But doesn't that create tiny bubbles in the system?

Comment

Nope. Does seem to convince them to float up to the m/c, tho.

t
        I went looking for Don Ho's classic 60's lounge tune, and only came up with poor quality live versions and horrible covers. For all you lounge lizards out t...
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Clutch feel is very subjective. Given that you just swapped you may not be used to it and it could be perfectly normal. Give Toby's suggestion a try and see if it firms up a bit for you. I've found stock E30 clutches to be pretty light compared to others.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

So I tried the "stomp" method and the same day my clutch pedal had gone lower than it usually sits. I had to grab the pedal and pull it up by hand. After that I have not had a problem. I have also gotten the muscle memory point of it down. So I guess I should be fine.

Thanks for all the help. [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
            X