A/C Compressor Mounting Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Compressor Mounting Questions

Hi, I'm trying to reinstall the entire A/C system that the P/O decided to take out.

Do I need any of http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_1718 these components to mount the compressor onto my engine?

Or will it mount directly onto this mount? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0552

Thank you in advance.

The second link is the M42 mounting system and is what you will use.

Are you installing new parts, such as the drier, condenser, compressor and expansion valve while you are there?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      The second link is the M42 mounting system and is what you will use.

Are you installing new parts, such as the drier, condenser, compressor and expansion valve while you are there?
      Thank you for the reply. Why is that first link there in the first place? RealOEM is confusing sometimes .

I'm in the process of ordering the new drier, parallel flow condenser, and the R134a expansion valve. My P/O supplied me with the hard lines and the compressor he took off from the car. And I'm hoping the evaporator in my car is still functional.

Is there a way of testing the compressor by itself to see if it's still functional? I was going to buy the o-ring kit and replace the o-rings at the least. Or am I risking the whole system by taking this gamble... A new compressor is pretty hefty $$ and I'd like to save where I can.

Also, is there a size/flow requirement for the electric fan that mounts onto the condenser? I've got a free one given to me by a member, but I'm not sure if it will suffice.

Hoping to tackle this thing before the summer hits!

Comment

Not sure on the flow req's for the fan, but a stock one or some type of Spal would be fine.

The only test I know of for a compressor that's off of the car would be to test clutch lock up by powerin the compressor. Personally, I'd spring for the new one if the old one is suspect at all as you'd want to replace the drier if you open the system again.

I think the first link is there as they just wanted the part number for the bushing, which I think is installed in the other bracket. This probably saved them from having to make a second diagram.

Comment

Not sure on the flow req's for the fan, but a stock one or some type of Spal would be fine.

The only test I know of for a compressor that's off of the car would be to test clutch lock up by powerin the compressor. Personally, I'd spring for the new one if the old one is suspect at all as you'd want to replace the drier if you open the system again.

I think the first link is there as they just wanted the part number for the bushing, which I think is installed in the other bracket. This probably saved them from having to make a second diagram.
          Yea, I think I'm going to get a new compressor to get rid of the guess work. Did you change your evaporator as well? I'm not sure how durable these things are, and I'm sure it's been sitting in my car not being used for a long time. I see that the M42 uses the Denso 10pa17c type compressors. Do you know if any other aftermarket compressors with that specific style would work with the M42? Seems like the Denso units cost a lot more.

Comment

I didn't change the evaporator, and I went with a Denso compressor that I believe I bought from autohausAZ, although I don't recall the exact model. Currently unaware of any other compressors that work for the M42.

Comment

I didn't change the evaporator, and I went with a Denso compressor that I believe I bought from autohausAZ, although I don't recall the exact model. Currently unaware of any other compressors that work for the M42.
              Alright, I'm gathering all the parts now including the compressor. Do I need to change out the high/low pressure fill valves on my existing lines?

RealOEM: 64509177579

And which fan did you end up putting on your system? I'm thinking of just using the regular AUX fan that came with the separated condenser from the PO

Thanks for all your help

Comment

If the compressor sat with its openings covered so crap didn't get into it, it should be fine. To test it all you can really do is turn the clutch plate by by hand and if it turns freely and smoothly, it's likely good.

If there are no R134a conversion valve adapters on your lines, then put some on, but if it has them, just keep them if they're in good shape. If you have a stock style fan that works and isn't seized up, then by all means use it, but otherwise any decently powerful pusher fan that fits will work. The junkyard might be a good source if you don't want to spend $80 on a 14" spal.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                X