e30 Hot Hatch Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sniches View Post
    So looking at that shot there - is the width of the rabbit roof and the e30 identical?

Looks to just mate up - how much work was involved to make it line up?

The C-pillar will end up looking slightly like an e30 M3, so should actually work better than most would anticipate.

Are you going to marry up a modified e30 rear valance & tail lights?
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I'm sub'd. I know of a few people who had planned to do this but looks like you're the first to dive right in

\m/ (0>0) \m/

Comment

hot hatch? style 19? S54? SUBD
        i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I know I shouldn't but I LOVE THIS!!!!!!

Comment

Alright so I just bought a 1997 318ti with a blown motor and a LSD for the rear end. It should be delivered to my house by Friday, and the part out begins! I need the rear end off it for this project, but literally everything else is for sale. Texas car never seen snow or salt, let me know if you guys need any parts. In other news, this rear end was the LAST major component I needed to track down so get ready to see some moves being made soon!

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
              So looking at that shot there - is the width of the rabbit roof and the e30 identical?

Looks to just mate up - how much work was involved to make it line up?

The C-pillar will end up looking slightly like an e30 M3, so should actually work better than most would anticipate.

Are you going to marry up a modified e30 rear valance & tail lights?
              The hatch is slightly different but not much, it actually lines up great. C pillars are getting extended for the real "hot hatch" look, I hate thin c pillars on hatched. The rear end is going to stay early style tails ( I like the smaller ones) and plastic m3 rear bumper, cut and modified/shortened.
              Last edited by sniches; 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                Subbed. I'm very curious as to how this is going to turn out. To be honest, I'm a little doubtful that the combination of VW and BMW styling will look right, but we'll see.

Also, I'm hoping you're keeping structural integrity in mind as you do this, but if you're keeping the original BMW C pillars, I think it should be okay.

Is the VW roof the same width as the BMW? Can you get us some side profile shots of the mock-up?
                I'll get more side profile shots, but the vw hatch and c pillars will be modified to follow e30 body lines completely. Including e30 rear end and tails and plate tub.

Comment

Also this (blech)!

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...hotoshop-wowww[/QUOTE]

holy shit that looks good
                  !!!
                  i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Intradusting. I love it. Sub'd

Comment

Sub'd. Amasing what you are doing.

Comment

Definitely sub'd for this one :popcorn:

Comment

Well, not too much progress. The 318ti was delayed arriving so my e30 currently has 5 lug front and 4 lug rear, now headed over to the paint/body shop for shaving the bay and rust repair. hatch was removed and will start being grafted this week. Here she is sitting on the trailer on the way to the body shop! (Thats my friend Charbel's Limo, he's the most skilled body guy I know.)

Also, I got tires put on the style 19's, so those are ready to go. put some S drives 205/40/17, hopefully that will clear the fenders and coil overs.

Comment

It's been ages since I subscribed to a build thread on here. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
                            Reminiscing...

Comment

Seems like it will be a bit front heavy with an S54 and a truncated rear, just like a real hot hatch.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

This got super serious super quick.

I'm in.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Working...
                                X