No announcement yet.

Talk me into a m60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here in So Cal you can pick up complete M60's all day for $200-300. So the engine themselves are cheap is all the other stuff to make them work is what adds up.

Same for a LS swap. I picked up a near complete LQ9 for $600, it was all the other things that made the swap expensive trans, driveshaft, exhaust, brakes, clutch etc.
    Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
    Cab
    billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
    : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
    88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

If you have no sense, money to waste, and content with small power then bmw v8 all the way. :)

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
        this is exactly what i was thinking. iv read alot of build threads and i think im going to order the swap guide a member on here is selling before i get my self into it too deep.

i just really like the idea of a v8 and really dont want to deal with ms tuning lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
        the swap is not for the faint of heart when it comes to projects being custom fab'd.

the brakebooster relocation comes to mind.

Yes Garagistic makes bolt on exhaust mani, engine arms etc etc...

the result is infact a M60 swapped e30, but for me, personally the investment cost(labour) vs. outcome is still too dear even if I do it myself.

in comparison..the M30b35 is about 70 ft lbs shy of the M60 torque value at about quarter the cost and a 5th of the work.

throw in a descent N/A tune and your basic boltons, and you really wake up an M30 to be treading in M60 territory.

boost that M30 and it's a total game changer.

#m304lyf
        #catsnkittens
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
          the swap is not for the faint of heart when it comes to projects being custom fab'd.

the brakebooster relocation comes to mind.

Yes Garagistic makes bolt on exhaust mani, engine arms etc etc...

the result is infact a M60 swapped e30, but for me, personally the investment cost(labour) vs. outcome is still too dear even if I do it myself.

in comparison..the M30b35 is about 70 ft lbs shy of the M60 torque value at about quarter the cost and a 5th of the work.

throw in a descent N/A tune and your basic boltons, and you really wake up an M30 to be treading in M60 territory.

boost that M30 and it's a total game changer.

#m304lyf
          #catsnkittens
          very valid points, but buy the time you "wake up " the m30 it would cost as much and have the same power as a stock m60.

not saying it is pointless at all, just tossing ideas around. I wanted an m30 for the longest time but i feel like it is just like my m20, fun for a while with some bolt ons (not talking about fi cause fuk dat) and then its boring after a while.

who knows I could be wrong, someone take me on a m30 joy ride

M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

All aluminum M60 will also sit further back than a long, iron block M30.

Also, depending trans, it will remain lighter (5sp), or the bulk of the weight ends up in the center of the car (6sp).

Don't get me wrong, M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post

Don't get me wrong, M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car.
              need this to be my sig right now...

M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Because V8.
                sigpic

Comment

I think you'll be happy with a v8 if you go with that.

Comment

turbo your m20, you will be more than happy with its performance level. you won't need ridiculously fat tires in the rear to keep them from lighting up just from looking at the gas pedal wrong. besides, IMO there are serious performance limitations to the bmw v8's unless you wanna spend a metric fuckton of money on go-fast bits.

NOW -- that's not to say you wouldn't have a fast, fun car with the m6X, you definitely would. the problem for me is that v8 swaps in our cars is just one big series of compromises & hassles. for roughly the same amount of money (or a little bit cheaper depending if you get good prices on parts) and 1/5th of the effort you can get either the same or 100 extra wheel whorepower. look up kamotors and you'll see what i'm talking about.

besides, do you know how annoying it is when parts people insist on getting your vin or year/trim when trying to buy parts? shit gets real old real fast

Comment

Reliability and low rpm torque is a plus for most normal people.
                      It'll always get smoked by the little turbo m20 in speed and mpg.

weigh your options and money.

Comment

I won't disagree that the m60 is more work than most people would want to put in for the amount of power you get, however the torque curve on these motors is something else. The first time I put my foot down on the highway in 5th was all the reward i needed for the hard work I put in.

Comment

Like it has been said... If you got the money and the time then go for it. The bottom line is.... V8 are total different beast when compared to a inline motor. All are great motors, but the sound of the v8 is like a drug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          sigpic
                          323i MTEC1
                          Z3 coupe
                          E60 M5

Comment

IMO if you're gonna go through all that hassle for two extra cylinders and more cubes then do a LS.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                              IMO if you're gonna go through all that hassle for two extra cylinders and more cubes then do a LS.
                              Bingo !

But I am biased
                              Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
                              Cab
                              billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
                              : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
                              88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

I love my M60 swap, but you get used to the power pretty quickly (unless you've never driven something faster). It's the sound that never gets old.

Comment

Working...
                                X