Frank Macaluso's E30S62 Swap Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
    PS- only the early build date S62's need 10w60. Its like march or may of 00' if I recall. Everything after that takes 5w30. If it were my engine I'd probably just use the 10w60 for peace of mind though.
    Interesting, but I'm just looking to be safer than sorry.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
    So in other words you'll be beating Brandon.
    Haha, there really was never any race. It was just a motivation method that he wanted to do and I went along with it.

Originally posted by smalcol View Post
    Awesome project! Could you just run two intake pipes to a larger airbox on the passenger side? That may be easier than a custom plenum.

With alpha-N, you don't need a plenum at all, just run some sweet velocity stacks with foam filters on each. I don't know how well alpha-n will work on a street car though, how often do you drive this car?
    I want to do a custom 2 into 1 intake. Likely welded thin-walled aluminum as opposed to carbon fiber. Quicker and I could powdercoat it.

I'm doing Alpha-N for 2 reasons - More power, but also I had no choice but to eliminate the AFM's due to lack of room. Yes, I'll be occasionally daily-driving the car during the summer, not winter, so I'll adapt to its behavior.

Originally posted by smalcol View Post
    Really think about Alpha-N though. I would figure out how to make the MAF's work if I was going to drive the car a lot. Alpha-N works fine for a race car, but it's the most simplistic fuel and spark control method. It doesn't monitor airflow or manifold pressure, making part throttle and idle not nearly as smooth.
    I did research on AlphaN and it said that the torque and HP curves were smoother as was the idle itself. I do not have anything to compare it to, so the way it will behave is the only way that I'll know...and I'll adapt to it.

Some updates - Just got back from Gutenfest yesterday evening and started teardown today at 4pm. What you see is 4 hours of teardown.

I started completing my Sport Button, which activates the ECU to sharpen the throttle behavior/mechanism when pushed. I wanted to keep the E30 style button, so I decided to modify the Defrost switch. I had to do some very significant updates to the internals of this switch to make it work, including a custom LED to indicate when SPORT mode is actually on.

Sanded/polished the defrost insignia:

LED soldered with small, flexible enamel coated 22gauge wire in line with a 470ohm resistor, since the LED soaks up about 20ma

The yellow light works as normal with dimming controlled by the light control switch. I will be adding a small vinyl "S" where the yellow light is for indicating during the daylight what the switch is for, similar to the current Defrost, hazard, A/C, and Recirc switches.

Green LED indicating SPORT ON

Final Switch assembly with wire pigtail

2 wires go to SPORT indicator LED (1 to Ground, 1 to DME)
    2 wires go to SPORT on/off (1 to ground, 1 to DME)
    2 wires go to E30 yellow light & dimming

Now on to the tear-down: Started removing all front bodywork, exhaust, driveshaft, shifter...etc Boring stuff really.

Doing some C101/X20 wiring labeling for the future owner of this M60 making it easier for them to swap....

And finally, a little test fit.

This is going to happen fast, so try to keep up ;)
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Man I wish I understood electrical stuff better so I could build cool switches. Maybe Ill use my next project car as an excuse to learn a bit more.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Very nice! Lots if love done to that sport button! Keep at it man.
        sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
        1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
        1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
        1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
        (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
        1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
        2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
        2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Oh lord
          I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
          Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Good stuff Frank.
            I'm very interested in your manifolds if you're willing to ship.

Comment

Nice, looking forward to future updates.
              My old Style 5 Thread / My Swap
              1991 318IS :bow: 2.5L S14 Swap/BC Coilover suspension/Some new (old) wheels/
              IS Skirt-Lip/RG Splitter/M-Technic I Spoiler/Dogleg/3.46 Diff/Euro H4 headlights etc.
              1998 528I (Sold) // 2003 540I ///M Sport

Comment

You should get yourself a lift!
                My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Seriously, a lift would helpful. This is super bad ass.

Comment

Great project. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
                    17 Range Rover Sport SVR
                    14 Q5 TDI S-Line
                    ...on the hunt for another E30.

Comment

Looking good! Can't wait to see it in person tomorrow.

Comment

I've gotta say, I think this was my favorite car at Gfest...so clean.
                        I like cats.

Comment

Wish I was around to have helped! Can't wat to feel the difference between this and the m60. You're getting close to ludicrous speed...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369142110.939160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	7156122
                          Swanny!
                          SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
                            I'd like to second that motion!

Awesome build man. Would love a ride in this once its all said and done :)
                            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Just so you are aware, I creep around your garage while you sleep.
                              E30 buildy things
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Updates 5/21

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
                                Originally posted by boisebimmer View Post
                                Seriously, a lift would helpful. This is super bad ass.
                                I wish I could, boys. Wish I could.

Originally posted by MJCRO View Post
                                Looking good! Can't wait to see it in person tomorrow.
                                Thanks for stopping by. Good luck with that exhaust and let me know if you have any questions!!

Started removing the Engine last night

Thanks to the help of Chris and Brandon, I was able to get it out in no time.

Making the front radiator core support removable

My creepy face....

We devised a method of making the core support removable relatively easy, but it made the removal of the engine so easy an I can't wait to repeatedly test fit the S62 to perfection with no mechanical interferences of any kind.

yeah, I was trying to break a smile and enjoy this captain morgan shot. All I was thinking was, "Can I install the S62 now?"

Next steps are:
                                • Pin the X0004 Connector
                                • Await the ECU from Adem Ergen
                                • Finalize the Radiator Core Support Welding/Hardware
                                • Test Fit the S62 and begin welding/building the Headers
                                Recent Rebranding!!
                                Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                                E30 SM62/S62
                                E30 M60 V8
                                E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                                Instagram.com/garageaholic
                                Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Working...
                                X