Headliner Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headliner Repair

Has anyone had the headliner repaired on their touring? I've had a few searches and haven't come across any DIY links or build posts on it being done. It seems to be a fabric glued onto a board but any information would be great.
    1990 320i RHD Touring (slow project)
    1988 1JZ-GTE Shaved/Wire tucked Coupe (old project-scrapped and stripped)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT

There is an awesome DIY at e30owners.com. It's called "how to remove touring headliner".

Yes - it is a rigid board (unlike other E30s).
    Last edited by cory58; 08-11-2016, 11:56 AM.
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

Thanks man you're a life saver. The wagons seems a hell of a lot easier to repair than the other models. I may just knock mine out sooner than I thought.
      1990 320i RHD Touring (slow project)
      1988 1JZ-GTE Shaved/Wire tucked Coupe (old project-scrapped and stripped)
      2004 Subaru Forester XT

Comment

Originally posted by KingDaKa View Post
        Thanks man you're a life saver. The wagons seems a hell of a lot easier to repair than the other models. I may just knock mine out sooner than I thought.
        Cool! Create a thread here with some pics and anything you learn from the process. I'll be recovering my disgusting headliner eventually.

Cory
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Just took mine out. Super easy, all you gotta do is remove everything on the headliner, (oh shit handles, dome lights, everything) then take the pillars down to the second clip or so, exposing the headliner. Then, just pull. Sunroof is a bit of a pita. Make sure it is open before you start the process as there are some screws that you have to take out.

Good luck.

Comment

Did mine with alcantara about 4 months ago, piece of cake!
            sigpic

Comment

any suggestions where to get factory like material to rewrap the headliner?
              16 GT3RS
              16 GT4
              05 M3
              88 M3
              90 Mtech Touring
              89 Touring
              91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by doba_s View Post
                any suggestions where to get factory like material to rewrap the headliner?
                I haven't had to redo the headliner on my touring (the previous owner had it reupholstered by a custom auto trim shop), but Proctor750 shared some info on my project thread that might be helpful:

Originally posted by Proctor750 View Post
                as for headliner i used opal gray winchester 1/8" foam backed 4 yards. I believe it is called world uupholstery or some such place. Excellent match.
                adhesive was dap weldwood high temp spray adhesive.
                1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Just had mine done what a difference!
                  sigpic
                  New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                  %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

I have done a bunch of touring headliners. Used to do them with alcantara but these day I use alcantara with stretch in it. Looks 95% as good and is so much easier to work with.
                    Euro car and parts export business based in the Netherlands, specialized in E30 Tourings!

Instagram: @garage30_ WWW.GARAGE30.NL

Comment

Need to do mine also. More than happy to see some pics of this project :D

Comment

Finished the one for the non-sunroof 318i last week. Got the material (flat knit in oak, which is slightly too dark, but only slightly) from yourautotrim. Can't say I was happy with the adhesive used, so do your own research there.

Beyond the obvious A-D pillar covers, lights and weather stripping there are 8 clips that hold the liner in place, 4 in the center that slide straight back to release and 4 at the very rear that should pull down for removal. If it's not clear, do the rears first.

Then it's only a matter of cleaning up the headliner card (wire brushes worked great), installing the fabric, and reinstalling the assy. Be very careful reinstalling the slide clips as they will break if they are torqued over.

The whole process took under 3 hours, just under $100 with the adhesive, and is well within the ability of anyone that can turn a wrench.

Comment

I am going to need to redo this on mine. Thanks for the link earlier in the thread. This should be a whole lot easier than the one in my coupe
                          Originally posted by blunttech
                          Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                          :shock:

Comment

My headliner it's in great shape - I'm having issues with my sunroof and no one wants to touch it because of the lack of experience with he headliner on this vehicle.
                            Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                              My headliner it's in great shape - I'm having issues with my sunroof and no one wants to touch it because of the lack of experience with he headliner on this vehicle.
                              It's the easiest headliner to do of all the e30's.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X