Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad idea to use a LSD with bad clutches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad idea to use a LSD with bad clutches?

As the title says, is it a bad idea to run a LSD rear differential if it has bad clutches? The open diff in my daily e36, 2.93 gears, whines on the highway, but I can't find a good used replacement. However, there's a guy selling a 3.15 LSD with bad clutches for only $50. I really don't care about having a working LSD, just something that works and is quiet. I just don't know if having bad clutches means the diff will eventually have other problems.
    My Feedback

You should have no issues running a worn out clutch pack, unless you just cannot live with single tire fire.

It's also worth considering that diffs with worn out clutches, like the one you are considering, are also more liable to have worn bearings and noisy operation.

Comment

I agree with the above. The clutches are most likely worn out from A. lots of abuse, which affects the gears, bearings, etc., or B. use of incorrect oil, which will do the same. No guarantee that that's what happened, but it's definitely pretty reasonable to assume.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
      X