Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tachometer Not Working All The Time! Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer Not Working All The Time! Help!!

So the tach and fuel economy gauge on my 1991 325i coupe only work sometimes only after the car has been taken for a drive and then sits in the sun long enough and is then driven again. All other gauges in the cluster work all the time. I replaced the si board batteries. It's not the si board unfortunately. I wish it was easy.

This makes me think it's some wire or connection that gets contact after heating up enough to expand and get contact. Which leads me to believe it could be connected to the engine bay or near the engine bay. But I don't know whether what to check or where to check exactly.

(My Bentley manual only goes to 1990)

What do you guy think? What and where should I check next?

Thanks for the help!

I started having this exact same problem this week. My MPG gauge quit out on me yesterday, and my tachometer speed today. I put in a radio a couple days ago so I'm thinking I may have knocked a couple wires loose. If anyone has an answer, I'd be desperate to hear it too.

Comment

the circuit boards inside these clusters corrode over time. you might be able to find a used replacement pretty easily.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
      X