A couple questions on piecing together a 5 speed swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple questions on piecing together a 5 speed swap

So I have been searching CL for swap parts and I came across this http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/2647043867.html and this

I have an 89 325i (auto) I am wondering if I would be able to use the drive shaft from the convertible with either transmission? I have heard some people say that it has a big guibo and some say that it is a small guibo. changing the guibo would not be a problem but I am wondering if there is anything else that I need to change out with a different part to make it bolt up right such as the flange or throw out bearing? I searched through the forum and am still confused on this. thanks for any help with this issue.

You really have to look at the drive shaft and transmission of both. This long after it left the factory either car could have morphed. Your best best would be to get the transmission, drive shaft, clutch hard lines, shifter, transmission mount, and flywheel from either car. Use the drive shaft as a core on a rebuilt, have the flywheel surfaced, get a get new clutch, TO bearing, main seal & pilot bearing, clutch fork pivot pin, new slave, new master, new soft line, and transmission mounts. Also rebuild the shifter. Oh yeah, replace all the seals in the transmission before installation.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah I was planing on doing all the seals/etc with the Bav auto ultimate clutch kit. the biggest concern is the drive shaft as one has allot of play in the U joints and the other does not but IDK if it has the larger guibo and if that will be a problem with swapping it over (more than just swapping the guibo). thanks for the info, what would you recommend for a replacement slave/master? I have seen a couple of different brands but IDK what to except from them.

Comment

I only use OE or equal parts.

The odds are that most any used drive shaft you can get needs to be rebuilt (or will soon need to be rebuilt) and needs a new CSB (which comes on a rebuilt). I don't waste my time installing as used drive shaft. When doing a 5 speed shop I use the drive shaft as a core for a rebuilt.
        Last edited by jlevie; 11-05-2011, 05:07 PM.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X