No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After I custom made my own shifter, I find that all short shifters are flaw designed and bad for the transmission whether it is ebay, CAE, everything in between, including my own. I will compose my findings when I finish my R&D in a new design maybe months from now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213[2].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	7185729
    sigpic
    327is
    325es
    325es
    318is
    Fiesta ST
    E46 M3

Comment

This is prototype of my own carbon/aluminium shifter. In DTM style.

To end of summer few shifter's will be in few car's, I waiting for aluminium part's right now.

Grey part's on photo are 3d printed, we use them for making form for aluminum casting. Lever will be the same like in m3 DTM.

More detail's soon at my FB site: https://www.facebook.com/Projects.SAS
      World quality custom part's for your race/drift/drag BMW, in low cost money.

https://www.facebook.com/Projects.SAS

Comment

here my shifter m42-g250-dssr-erk-z3m
        Last edited by ngampleh; 07-14-2017, 11:55 PM.
        [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
        ---------------------------------------------------------------
        [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
        Transaction Feedback

Comment

This is a length difference between the X5 shifter and blue eBay B&M replica shifter. I'm going with the eBay part so the X5 shifter will be going up for sale shortly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Now a 318ti

Comment

installed...

here the throw..
            Last edited by ngampleh; 07-15-2017, 03:54 AM.
            [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
            Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by ngampleh View Post
              installed...

here the throw..
              https://vimeo.com/174542950

What dssr do you have paired with it? And do you have a link to where you bought shifter?

Comment

No shifter cup bro?
                ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
                  What dssr do you have paired with it? And do you have a link to where you bought shifter?
                  I designed and made the DSSR by myself, I can make it for you with custom center to center length + cup
                  I bought from BLUNTTECH, just email to sales@blunttech.com

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                  No shifter cup bro?
                  here the cup

Last edited by ngampleh; 07-14-2017, 11:59 PM.
                  Transaction Feedback

Comment

Cool! Makes for some tight shifting?
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

yes, its precise shifting
                      Transaction Feedback

Comment

Ok, I had a chance to sketch this the best I can to explain the CAE or equal shifter design has some flaws geometry wise. I don't own one and never try out the CAE shifter, but looking at its design I don't think it fit well with the BMW design drivetrain. So here it is.

When swinging to left or right in R, 1st, or 5th gear, the lever would swing in the x-axis. At the connection between the selector rod and the shifter arm, it does not rotate to align with the selector rod bushing. Where in a stock form, the ball would rotate very slightly. The way the CAE design seem only has fixed straight angle rotations.

If the shifter is in tight tolerance, something got to give somewhere. It could be in the plastic bushings or something is going to break. Maybe CAE already incoporated some rotations at the pivot point. I don't know. Just my observations.

Name:	IMG_1894[1].jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	7189390
                        sigpic
                        327is
                        325es
                        325es
                        318is
                        Fiesta ST
                        E46 M3

Comment

I have been running my custom shifter and noticed that R and 5th gear engagement is not as smooth as I expected to be. The reason is, like all other short shifters, the extra length on the pivot point make going into R and 5th gear in a arkward angle as illustrated in my previous post.

So, I have come up with this design. It can be fully adjustable because the spherical bearing can be set at any length in its pivot point. making it any throw desired.

Name:	IMG_1896[1].jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	7189391
                          sigpic
                          327is
                          325es
                          325es
                          318is
                          Fiesta ST
                          E46 M3

Comment

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
                            Ok, I had a chance to sketch this the best I can to explain the CAE or equal shifter design has some flaws geometry wise. I don't own one and never try out the CAE shifter, but looking at its design I don't think it fit well with the BMW design drivetrain. So here it is.

When swinging to left or right in R, 1st, or 5th gear, the lever would swing in the x-axis. At the connection between the selector rod and the shifter arm, it does not rotate to align with the selector rod bushing. Where in a stock form, the ball would rotate very slightly. The way the CAE design seem only has fixed straight angle rotations.

If the shifter is in tight tolerance, something got to give somewhere. It could be in the plastic bushings or something is going to break. Maybe CAE already incoporated some rotations at the pivot point. I don't know. Just my observations.

[ATTACH]112022[/ATTACH]

It does in fact rotate in that direction.
                            As you move the lever left or right the bottom does in fact have a "yaw" to keep it aligned to the tranny.
                            If you ever get the chance to try/drive one I'd do it!
                            I <3 mine!

I also have an AKG "Motorsport" shifter that I'll be installing in my IX in the next couple months. Even though it's a third the cost I'm sure it will feel very comparable.

The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

I have no doubt that it is a fantastic shifter. I am just trying to figure out the geometry behind it. Thanks for the action vid.

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                              It does in fact rotate in that direction.
                              As you move the lever left or right the bottom does in fact have a "yaw" to keep it aligned to the tranny.
                              If you ever get the chance to try/drive one I'd do it!
                              I <3 mine!

I also have an AKG "Motorsport" shifter that I'll be installing in my IX in the next couple months. Even though it's a third the cost I'm sure it will feel very comparable.

https://youtu.be/LOMP1awrHog
                              sigpic
                              327is
                              325es
                              325es
                              318is
                              Fiesta ST
                              E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                                What's that next to the shifter ? :) What does it regulate and where did you get it ? :)

Comment

Working...
                                X