Official E30 DSP Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official E30 DSP Thread.

Last edited by DSP74; 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM.
    sigpic

88 325is

Subscribed....
    Terry Fair - www.vorshlag.com
    Project Thread for the now-burned-to-a-crisp $2011 GRM Challenge Winning E30 V8 :(

Comment

Well to fit 285+ you can be ghetto like me and just go no flares and some fuel line and RTV to keep your hands and tires from catching edges....or you need to get a custom flare of some sort. The IE flares are pretty worthless, only give you about 2" at best.
      I did look at taking a E46 fender and welding it in, probably could work okay.
      As far as weight the difference between fiberglass and a metal fender isn't too much, so if you go that way do it more for easy of fitment or easy of production then weight. We aren't talking more then 2-3#s per fender.
      SM 19 - Serial Destroyer of Cars
      Turbo '89 325i - It lives! Now the question is for how long?
      2SlowRcing.com

Comment

I'm not sure I can add much to this considering I run an Integra in DSP.

A hand made fiberglass flare seems to be the easiest way to go if you know how to do the work. And it would bolt right on instead of having to be welded. And you can make it as large as you want.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Mmm
          Last edited by DSP74; 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM.
          sigpic

88 325is

Comment

^My only guess to that, is that most aren't looking to build a nationally competitive car. They just want to go out on the weekends and have some fun, drive the crap out their car and not worry about a speeding ticket or throwing it into the armco.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

The biggest reason (and I know because I'm not the only one) is because each 275 35 15 Hoosier costs $255.00 shipped. And the cheapest set of wheels is about $700.00. (no I'm not using Diamond for this set up)
              And the fact that you only get 20-40 runs on them makes me not be able to afford them.
              Totaling $1725.00 and a new set of tires mid season.
              Just wheel and tire costs for a full season is around $2700.00.

I'm currently using 225 Kumho's . At a cost of $760.00 new. But getting more than a full season out of them. I was able to run the 225's on a set of wheels I already have.

Not to mention that some people have 2k just in their wheels.
              Last edited by joshh; 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74
                OK first order of business fitting bigger tires.............

Custom built flares hand made.
                Custom built combo of factory flare, and extra factory flare section from parts car.
                E46 flares.
                Custom built fiberglass flares.
                Specially modified I/E flares.

What do y'all think?
                I have some input on making flares from E46 fenders, because I recently did this to our E36 LS1 car. Lots of pictures showing the process are here. We used this car for inspiration (DSP E36 325is):

Left: Fenders cut (the rear wheelhouse/fender mods are the hardest part!) - Right: After bodywork and paint (18x10" + 285/30/18 V710 combo)

In all I probably have 15+ hours of fab work into our car's recent E46 steel flare mods + help from some friends during fitting/welding + bodywork done by an outside shop.

That's the front. We still had a LOT more work to do after that - lots of fender rolling, clearancing of the front bumper cover, then bodywork and paint. And the front was 3X easier than the back...

Doing proper flares to clear big tires (at full bump travel!) is a royal b!tch of a job. Proper flares tend to cost $2500-3000+ from what others in Street Prepared have told me they paid. I know I damn sure don't want to do another set like this! Of course it would have been a tiny bit less work if we weren't trying to clear 315mm tires on 11" wheels, but anything more than a 9" wheel is going to be some serious fab work on an E30.

Costs weren't that much, if I don't count my own time or others' labor. ;)

EDIT: a cheaper solution is bolt on fiberglass fender flares. Of course you still have to clearance the rear unibody - which again, is the hardest part. Cutting multiple layers of steel, bending, rewelding them back together, etc. The fiberglass just covers up this butchery.

These were our previous monster-ghetto "carbon fiber" flares ($200 of China's finest fake carbon fiber flares made to fit a Nissan 240SX). No bodywork nor as much welding, but still a bunch of work to clearance the sheetmetal. They were fugly - functional-ugly.
                Last edited by Fair!; 05-01-2008, 08:59 AM.
                Project Thread for the now-burned-to-a-crisp $2011 GRM Challenge Winning E30 V8 :(

Comment

Last edited by DSP74; 03-16-2009, 12:59 PM.
                  sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74
                    Is there a "secret source" for E46 fenders?
                    You bet there is.... http://certifit.com/

I paid $29 per fender. I was sticker shocked so I only bought 8. :D

Comment

sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74 View Post
                        Granted I don't have these but this sounds WAY off. You should be able to get WAY more runs than that. Especially considering the weight of these cars.

Where are you sourcing wheels at $700/set. As that is not bad at all IMO.

I WISH THERE WAS A DEFINITIVE ANSWER TO WHAT IS FASTER. 285/30/18 OR 275/35/15

I wish it were way off. An EVO locally corded a set of Hoosiers in one day. Granted the car is heavier and on skinnier tires than the 275. But regardless, one set of Hoosiers wont last a full season. Specially if someone is looking for seat time with the newer 275.

The wheel is a 15x9 (too skinny but will work) made by 949 Racing. I was off on the price a bit. At 194.00 each.

I'd say the 275 35 15 is the better way to go with the E30. It's lighter but just a tad skinnier. But I have no proof.

Edit, I admit I was going light on the upper end of run numbers. Some people are getting as many as 90 runs. Some as few as 20. The average seems to be a bout 45.
                        Last edited by joshh; 05-01-2008, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Well with a V710 on a 285 I got about 150 runs before I junked them. The last 20-30 needing a lot of tire compound to revive them from another 3 runs.
                          There is no reason you can't get 80-90 runs out of a V710 assuming you aren't running on concrete all the time, and treating them properly (camber, not locking tires up on braking, etc).
                          The A6 is a lot better then the older Hoosier models, but I don't have first hand experaince with it. I just know I destroyed the edges in 6 runs one event on my Vette.

Oh and we held up a 275 vs the 285, they were nearly identicial in width, but you get a shorter tire on the 275 so a little less clearancing is required, and doesn't gear the car down as much. Plus you could always get a lightweight steel made for it at 150/wheel (tho I believe you need to use spacers up front if you do as they don't have a pattern that will clear the brakes).
                          SM 19 - Serial Destroyer of Cars
                          Turbo '89 325i - It lives! Now the question is for how long?
                          2SlowRcing.com

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74 View Post
                            Granted I don't have these but this sounds WAY off. You should be able to get WAY more runs than that. Especially considering the weight of these cars.
                            Actually, that's about right. The 275/35R15s wear pretty fast. Make sure you flip them.
                            Garrick
                            1989 325is
                            DSP #72

Comment

sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X