885/2.7 dim battery light ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

885/2.7 dim battery light ?

just had my battery replaced for the 2nd time , ( for free ). after replacing my alternator yesterday , and before my last one died on me a week ago , I still have a dimmed red battery light . what is this? 1986 es .:loco:
    1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
    1998 e36 328ic/5 -
    Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
    1967 2002 parts car
    1994 318iS junked.

Need more info.

Buy a multimeter. What does your battery read before starting and then when running.

Also, now-a-days, every car parts store has tools they will use to check your battery/alternator with. Take advantage of that. It's free!
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

My guess is that you got a generic (inexpensive) reman alternator. Those are an iffy proposition at best and it isn't unusual to go through three or more before you fine one that half way works. And even then it will likely soon fail.

The dim battery light is almost certainly a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. Return this alternator for a refund an get a Bosch (or Valeo) rebuilt unit. It will work out-of-the-box and will likely work for another thirty years. An alternator is one of the places where only an OE or OEM part is acceptable.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        My guess is that you got a generic (inexpensive) reman alternator. Those are an iffy proposition at best and it isn't unusual to go through three or more before you fine one that half way works. And even then it will likely soon fail.

The dim battery light is almost certainly a bad voltage regulator in the alternator. Return this alternator for a refund an get a Bosch (or Valeo) rebuilt unit. It will work out-of-the-box and will likely work for another thirty years. An alternator is one of the places where only an OE or OEM part is acceptable.
        Well, What do you know , 21.8 miles from my house at an ikea getting ready to leave , baby doesnt start anymore , the AAA guy who came before calling a tow truck , ran a full alternator, battery , and starter test and gave me two reciepts with the readings on them. Battery results were 12.8V, Starter was 10.77V , Charging system ; or alternator , 0 amps,failed. The alt was an original m20 oem alternator purchased from a r3v user. not naming names.
        1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
        1998 e36 328ic/5 -
        Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
        1967 2002 parts car
        1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Working...
        X