Steam from engine, shortly after a 7hr drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam from engine, shortly after a 7hr drive

Took the E30 from NYC to Montreal over the weekend, and had the A/C on for some of the trip. Once I got into downtown, I would hear an intermittent belt screech (did all belts sometime last yr).

Pulled up to the hotel, and steam/smoke starts billowing out of the engine bay. Car didn't run hot at all during the trip (maybe a hair over the halfway mark).

Didn't notice any popped hoses or coolant leaking. Once the car cooled down I checked for lost coolant (topped it off before the trip), and the coolant level was fine.

I did notice on the drive back that my A/C no longer blew cold & the smell of coolant inside the cabin was evident but no traces of leaks on the floor.

Any idea what the steam/smoke was? pulley screech aka water pump getting ready to fail? Blown A/C lines, or possible heater core issues?
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

You have a leak somewhere. A pressure test of the cooling system should tell where it is.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I think it may be the heater core (leak). I have noticed in the last yr, that every so often, dried up coolant flakes would appear on my carpet from under the dash.

I'm just puzzled why all of a sudden the A/C stopped working and no signs of coolant in the footwells. I thought the steam was just the R12 escaping the lines, since it appeared that the steam was coming from the passenger side when I popped the hood open.

I made the 7hr drive back yesterday w/o a hitch tho.
      #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

If your coolant level is fine, I'd bet you blew an AC hose somewhere. Maybe one of the pressure sensors backed out?

Comment

I suspect that the A/C and steam are two different unrelated issues.

Comment

A rapid decompression of R12 can have an appearance of steam (water condensation), but since you are smelling coolant too I think you might have two separate issues. It's still hot outside so I doubt that you turn the heater on so coolant should not go through the heater core; therefore, it cannot leak inside the cabin. You made it back okay after seven hours so there is no major problem with the coolant system (smelling it should still raise the alarm). Your air conditioner is most likely empty of refrigerant by now.

Comment

^ thanks that makes total sense. I wonder if I have a 3rd problem with the screech sound.

Last time I heard a similar sound 5yrs ago, the water pump ended up seizing on me, and took the belt with it.

I need to take a better look in there (possibly tonight) to see whats going on.
              #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

A few years back I had an A/C line let go as I was driving Klaus home from recharging the system. For a couple of minutes I looked like I was playing Spy Hunter down a major thoroughfare.

That said, I share the "two separate issues" opinions.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I doubt that you turn the heater on so coolant should not go through the heater core; therefore, it cannot leak inside the cabin.
                  The heater core will, however, still be under pressure, so it could indeedy be leaking.

The valve shuts off flow in one place, but the whole system's still pressurized...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                    The heater core will, however, still be under pressure, so it could indeedy be leaking.

The valve shuts off flow in one place, but the whole system's still pressurized...

t
                    Confirmed! I looked it up. The shut-off valve is only one way. My guess is that with hot coolant flowing through the heater core, the metal expands and the leak gets worse.

Comment

I poked around the hood last night, and did some routine checks...i'm 98% sure it was R12 I saw shoot out.

pressing the A/C button, you can still hear the compressor turn on...but def not as loud as when the system was full.

I ordered two more cans of Freeze 12, but I'm going to have the system pressurized to see where the leak is coming from before refilling the system. Are there any particular areas to look for in the lines that are prone to fail?

Also, does anyone have part #'s to the O-rings on the high/low valves? I can't seem to find it on realoem
                      #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

So I just noticed my auxiliary fan isn't working either. Checked the fuses and fuse #18 was blown. I replaced it and it doesn't seem to be coming on at all.

Rewind to a couple was ago my ac/fan stopped working and replAced the 30a fuse then (fuse#20). Ac worked fine after replacing the fuse.

Are these issues related to the ac lines blowing out the r12?
                        #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                          So I just noticed my auxiliary fan isn't working either. Checked the fuses and fuse #18 was blown. I replaced it and it doesn't seem to be coming on at all.
                          That could cause an overpressure of the A/C system when it was no longer moving and no longer had air flowing across the condenser. The high pressure switch should have shut down the compressor, but if there was a weak line or failing o-ring refrigerant could blow out before or after the high pressure switch stopped the compresser.
                          Rewind to a couple was ago my ac/fan stopped working and replAced the 30a fuse then (fuse#20). Ac worked fine after replacing the fuse.

Are these issues related to the ac lines blowing out the r12?
                          Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                          X