m42 firing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 firing order

I'm looking for some advice of changing the spark pug wires, and on the firing order of my 91 318is.

Today I changed my spark plugs and put in new Bosch wires (these came with no numbers of their order). After sorting them out by length and matching them up with the original wires by size, I was able to figure out their order. I put them in order of 1-3-4-2, which i read was the correct firing order. After doing this, I tried starting it and it would turnover to the point where it sounded like it would start, but still wouldnt. I'm almost 100% certain the wires are in the right firing order.

If anyone has any ideas why it wont start, if i have the wrong firing order, or any info from anyone whos used bosch wires before that would be awesome.

Also, the car has been sitting for a few months, and I got it running last week. Since then its sat for a week and the battery was dead. When trying to run it today the battery was flat and I was jump starting it with my truck. not sure if this would have any affect on why it wouldnt start.
    sigpic
    91' 318is Brilliantrot
    Yes, it still has an m42

It's pretty easy to mix up the wires if you use the stock routing device.

I'd first suggest taking the plastic cover off of the coil set and checking to see if the original coil to cylinder indicator plate still exists. If so it would be a sub 5mm square of metal on one of the mounting posts for the coil set.

Outside of that you may end up doing a bit of guess and check as no plate generally means replaced coils which may well not have been replaced in the original order.

When you do get it sorted be sure to label both ends of the plug wires, and the coils themselves with an odd colored sharpie or similar.

Comment

Label the plugs going to the coils as well. It's pretty hard to plug them in wrong, but it can happen.

Comment

Alright sounds good, I'll go back out there today and double check the order. They probably just got mixed up and i didnt realize it
        sigpic
        91' 318is Brilliantrot
        Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Working...
        X