Cracked E30 Muffler!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked E30 Muffler!

I own an 88 325i e30 sedan and recently had my cat replaced because it was rotting from the inside. When I had it replaced, I also had a cracked muffler which the mechanic said the muffler itself is in okay shape and that he will just weld it to save me some money. I insisted that the money wasn't a problem but he gave me some push back and said that I am saving money and he doesn't want to waste a perfectly fine muffler to give me a bit more time on it (which I felt was fairly reasonable).

So now my muffler is starting to make the same sounds it did before when it was cracked, and it driving me insane.
    So, my question is, whats the best route to go about this? Buy a new muffler? If so, which muffler allows for a nice loud low rumble? I like it to be fairly loud but not annoy and ricey. Has a nice low rumble. I have an aftermarket cat on it as mentioned before, so would this affect the way the sound?

Also, is this something I can do myself? I have very limited experience mechanically and am fairly new to the e30 community. I have only a basic set f tools and no garage to work in. Also, I'm a college student and work full time hours so I don't have too much time on my hands. Is this something I should just leave to the professionals to handle?

Originally posted by OscarGroucho View Post
    I own an 88 325i e30 sedan and recently had my cat replaced because it was rotting from the inside. When I had it replaced, I also had a cracked muffler which the mechanic said the muffler itself is in okay shape and that he will just weld it to save me some money. I insisted that the money wasn't a problem but he gave me some push back and said that I am saving money and he doesn't want to waste a perfectly fine muffler to give me a bit more time on it (which I felt was fairly reasonable).

So now my muffler is starting to make the same sounds it did before when it was cracked, and it driving me insane.
    So, my question is, whats the best route to go about this? Buy a new muffler? If so, which muffler allows for a nice loud low rumble? I like it to be fairly loud but not annoy and ricey. Has a nice low rumble. I have an aftermarket cat on it as mentioned before, so would this affect the way the sound?

Also, is this something I can do myself? I have very limited experience mechanically and am fairly new to the e30 community. I have only a basic set f tools and no garage to work in. Also, I'm a college student and work full time hours so I don't have too much time on my hands. Is this something I should just leave to the professionals to handle?
    you could replace the entire cat-back system by yourself, sure. however, it should only take a mechanic 30 min to do the job so whatever 1/2 hour bill time is. to many, the cost is low enough to justify not messing with exhaust work yourself. its time-consuming and messy if parts are rusted.

i'd recommend in your case to buy the stock cat-back muffler somewhere online and bring it to your mechanic for install.

this is only an example, no idea if this vendor is any good:

anything other than stock and you're looking at parts/labor costs that will cost more than the factory replacement system. somewhere around $300 will get a muffler shop to install a universal muffler like magnaflow in place of the factory muffler.

personally, i've had muffler shops install magnaflow mufflers on every one of my bmws and loved them. more sound, great value. they also have a warranty, so if they rust out, the cost of replacement is only the labor to install the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
      you could replace the entire cat-back system by yourself, sure. however, it should only take a mechanic 30 min to do the job so whatever 1/2 hour bill time is. to many, the cost is low enough to justify not messing with exhaust work yourself. its time-consuming and messy if parts are rusted.

i'd recommend in your case to buy the stock cat-back muffler somewhere online and bring it to your mechanic for install.

this is only an example, no idea if this vendor is any good:

anything other than stock and you're looking at parts/labor costs that will cost more than the factory replacement system. somewhere around $300 will get a muffler shop to install a universal muffler like magnaflow in place of the factory muffler.

personally, i've had muffler shops install magnaflow mufflers on every one of my bmws and loved them. more sound, great value. they also have a warranty, so if they rust out, the cost of replacement is only the labor to install the new one.
      I've heard a lot about the magna flow mufflers and even watched a couple videos on the sound. I like them and how they sound. Also the chrome is a nice touch. Are they pretty straight forward? I can just go on the website and purchase one and then take it to the mechanic to get installed? Are there any other complications that come along with attaching something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by OscarGroucho View Post
        I've heard a lot about the magna flow mufflers and even watched a couple videos on the sound. I like them and how they sound. Also the chrome is a nice touch. Are they pretty straight forward? I can just go on the website and purchase one and then take it to the mechanic to get installed? Are there any other complications that come along with attaching something like this?
        if you pick one out, make sure the dimensions all small enough to fit. not hard, as a small muffler will do fine with the m20.

i did a single 2.5" in/out 4x9 either #11216 or #11366, i can't remember, and asked the muffler shop to weld a Y-pipe to the original pipes to convert to 2.5".

you could buy a muffler with the tip/tips already on it, or pick out a tip separate and ask them to weld it on. a lot of people also just buy the muffler with single in and dual tips out.

Comment

Aren't most magna flow single and inlet where the IS exhaust is a dual inlet?

Sent from th
          sigpic
          1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
          I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
            Aren't most magna flow single and inlet where the IS exhaust is a dual inlet?

Sent from th
            already covered that.

Comment

Working...
            X