Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Woes

Hi all,

I'm coming up on 9 years of ownership with my e30 and I am starting to get some transmission issues. Initially when I first acquired the car it would pop out of first gear only, and had issues meshing when going from 2nd to 1st. You would have to be nearly stopped for it to accept 1st gear. Add 100,000 miles from that point and I still haven't managed to trouble shoot this issue.

However over the last 500 miles the clutch pedal has slowly moved further out resulting in a longer distance to have to depress the pedal and it is no longer in line with the brake pedal. Not only has this changed recently but the clutch used to engage on the last 1/4 of travel (right before it was fully released) however now it starts engaging from nearly the bottom. The pedal feel is much lighter and to top it off last night the clutch wouldn't engage first gear, it would grind or pop out of gear when cold. Only once the car got up to temperature did the clutch accept first gear. This is my daily driver so I'm trying to narrow down the problem so I can remedy this quickly. Right now the three main issues I feel it could be is, Low Transmission Fluid, a leaking Master/Slave Cylinder, or a throwout bearing/pressure plate issue.

Any insight would be great! Also is there a write up to replace the clutch master and slave.

Thanks
Working...
X