No announcement yet.

Helmet Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFAIK, the main difference between an SA and M helmet is the fire rating (M helmets are not fire rated). If you're not wearing full fire protective clothing, having a fire rated helmet isn't a deal breaker. I've never heard of a local HPDE requiring SA rated helmets, but obviously, this varies.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The Helmet got here yesterday and I was just going to say "fig it" and keep it, but I tried it on and its super tight, not to mention I couldnt get my glasses on, so its going back. This is why I want to try a helmet on locally, but dont know where to do that without paying $500 for the Helmet

edit: Spoke to the guy at SafeRacer and was ready to buy the RaceQuip Pro15 SA2015 from them, but I need it by Friday and they charge another $40 for 2 day express while Summit Racing charges $15, so I ordered it from Summit. Hopefully this one fits better, the guy at SR recommended it over the Zamp Racing one I was also looking at. What a headache, I hope this all works out
      Last edited by 2mAn; 11-09-2016, 12:40 PM.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

it can be a headache yes....literally and figuratively

I had like 4 helmets over the last 12 yrs of tracking.

You really need to NOT rush the process.....try on as many as u can. I ended up buying like 20 helmets online to get all the models that interested me....I made sure all could be returned......a bit of a hassle yes but worth it. I also tried on like 20 helmets over the yrs during track events..

i wear my helmet for like 8 or 9 session of 25 mins each, instructing, driving etc etc.....it needs to fit well.....

try OG racing , Northstar motorsports....pegasus....they are cool if u explain the deal.
        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

the main difference between an SA and M helmet is the fire rating
          Eyeport size and the roll bar crush test, too. I'm not sure about the pointy object test.

It's not rational, I know, but the image of melting visors gives me the jeebies.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            AFAIK, the main difference between an SA and M helmet is the fire rating (M helmets are not fire rated). If you're not wearing full fire protective clothing, having a fire rated helmet isn't a deal breaker. I've never heard of a local HPDE requiring SA rated helmets, but obviously, this varies.
            It's often not enforced, but HPDE is supposed to have proper helmets for the driver, passengers are usually a little more relaxed. I officiate for NASA, FARA and couple other HPDE organizations. We check helmet dates and have stickers for them that grid workers are supposed to check. Usually it's one warning and will let them on track that day/weekend. But, if we see them again, they must rent one, or borrow on from a friend. It may be different in other regions, but that's how it's handled here.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
            X