No announcement yet.

First E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm starting to look at collecting parts for a manual swap. I know prices vary and I've seen sold items for a full manual swap sell around $700-$800. How much would you guys say is a good price for a transmission?

Comment

Did you check the Chicago e30 FB page?
      There's also a Midwest e30 FB page as well.

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
        Did you check the Chicago e30 FB page?
        There's also a Midwest e30 FB page as well.
        Yeah I did. Saw a guy selling a trans and another guy selling everything else so I'm considering pulling the trigger on it.

Comment

Can you post a few more pics of the car with the Style 5s on? I'm trying to decide between those and BBS RZ378s.

It looks like you're running the typical 195/45r16?
          1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
            Can you post a few more pics of the car with the Style 5s on? I'm trying to decide between those and BBS RZ378s.

I'm actually running 205/45r16s and 18mm adapters all around and the fitment is pretty good. Hope this helps.

Comment

Picked up all the parts needed for a manual swap yesterday besides the transmission.
              I just had a couple of questions regarding the swap.

1) The circled part in the picture I was told was an additional transmission support. Is that what it is and how does it mount? I was looking on realeom and couldn't find any pictures.

2) The driveshaft has a torsional vibration absorber and doing some research I read some people leave it on and some people say you don't need it at all. What do I do with it?

3) When swapping in a manual I can keep the same ecu and if I get a conforti chip I use the number on that ecu and just select manual transmission?

4) I've read the g260s are pretty reliable and bulletproof, but I've also heard horror stories of people doing the swap only to find out their trans is trash and needs to be replaced. I know drive-gear and CAtuned sell rebuilt transmissions, but at like $2k each it's pricy. Any suggestions on what to do for that?

Comment

Ahh yes this is where it gets fun!

1) It's an exhaust hanger. Bolts on the back side of the transmission. Some people use it, some don't. I switched to headers and downpipe so I didn't. If you're keeping the stock exhaust then there's no reason not to have it really, I just don't like how low they hang.

2) You can keep it if you want to, although if you go with a short shifter you may run into issues with it hitting the selector rod. I've removed mine on all of my cars and never had an issue.

3) Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but that shouldn't be any problem at all, your car will be a manual after you're done as far as the DME is concerned. There's a separate computer that controls the transmission, the little green guy above the DME in the glove box, which I just unplugged when I did my swap. There is a little bit of wiring to do at the shifter, but other than that you should be golden.

4) I've personally never run into any issues with G260s, but I know that's not the case for everybody. Not to be "that guy" but shelling out 2 grand for a rebuilt is WAY extravagant, especially considering your username lol. If you throw the trans in and it's bad (pretty unlikely), it won't be difficult to source another from a local or a forum member. Sorry, I'm not trying to advocate buying and installing things twice but I've just never run into a bad trans issue when doing a 5spd swap on my car or anyone else's.

Good luck!

'92 325I Vert - Always a WIP
                '93 Honda Accord LX - Poop DD
                '97 Yamaha XJ600S - "Halfe" Racer
                '10 Mazdaspeed 3 - Expensive

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/e30_chef_rob

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post

Old thread, but my friends E30 sale add with BBS RZ378. That's my vote, clean, 4x100 no fill and drill/adapters and a nice lip....OE Plus

1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                  1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                  September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                  Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by brokecollegekid View Post
                    So I'm starting to look at collecting parts for a manual swap. I know prices vary and I've seen sold items for a full manual swap sell around $700-$800. How much would you guys say is a good price for a transmission?
                    If you can source a full swap kit for 7-800 then I say roll the dice.

I posted this in another thread, but it pertains here as well. I found several cheap local transmissions, but all had 200-250K+ on them and I didn't want to take that risk. If I had more access to a garage and could swap a transmission on my own, I would have been more willing to take a risk.

Originally posted by E30CCARob View Post
                    Not to be "that guy" but shelling out 2 grand for a rebuilt is WAY extravagant, especially considering your username lol. If you throw the trans in and it's bad (pretty unlikely), it won't be difficult to source another from a local or a forum member.
                    I agree with E30CCARob if you are on a budget, especially if you are doing it on your own you can swap 3 used transmissions for the half the cost of rebuilt/inspected unit.

Prior post....Getrag 240 Rebuild

I ended up having to replace my G260 for a shot 3rd gear syncro. It would grind every time I shifted above 3-4K. Some rebuilds ran $3500-$4000 and some where only around $1750. Why the big difference? I was told that the ones on the cheaper side are more "inspect and refresh" and are not truly full rebuilds.

If I could have found a decent used one with around 100K miles I would have rolled the dice on that. When I tried to find one everyone who replied to my search were trying to sell me units with over 200K or one pulled from a parts car that they had no idea about running condition.

Some people will think I am crazy, but I ended up buying a remanufactured unit directly from BMW for $3100. It was a little more than the "refreshed units" and it was cheaper that the full rebuilds. Also it was remanufactured by BMW and came with a two year warranty.

However for what I spent on a new unit you can roll the dice on quite a few used units.

PM me if you want more details on the different companies.
                    1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                    1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                    September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                    Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Hey broke,
                      Is that the Binny's parking lot on Golf rd, in Schaumburg? Lol

CAPP. ;-)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. There's been a couple local transmissions that I were sold before I messaged the people. Still kinda broke, but I graduated college and have a job so starting to save up some money.

I'm planning on pulling the whole engine and transmission to do the swap since my steering rack needs to be replaced and it'll make it easier to reseal the oil pan and do all the other gaskets when the engine is out too. I've still got a decent amount of parts to get before I start wrenching on it.

With a core charge of like $250-$400 and considering I'd buy a trans for like $200 plus shipping would be over that so that's why I may just save up and buy a fully rebuilt unit and not have to worry at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cptcarisma View Post
                          Hey broke,
                          Is that the Binny's parking lot on Golf rd, in Schaumburg? Lol

CAPP. ;-)
                          haha yeah it is, stopped to get some alcohol and when I came out figured I'd snap a few photos since I just washed it.

Comment

Car looks great with those wheels! 16" fit e30's perfectly I think.

Looks like you might even be able to run a 215?
                            89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                            I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
                              Car looks great with those wheels! 16" fit e30's perfectly I think.

Looks like you might even be able to run a 215?
                              Yeah, but these were on clearance for like $52 each so I couldn't pass that up.

Comment

Originally posted by brokecollegekid View Post
                                Yeah, but these were on clearance for like $52 each so I couldn't pass that up.

Haha can't pass that up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                                I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Working...
                                X