Gas mileage with m20 turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas mileage with m20 turbo?

I was just wondering what kind of gas mileage people are getting with m20 turbo'd cars. I am planning on going turbo and i just wanted to see how the gas would be. Please post what setup you are running. Thanks!

If you drive it like a responsible human being, your gas consumption would be no greater than stock.

Gas consumption goes down as the boost needle goes to the right of zero.

I get 27mpg highway with my 2.93 rear end.
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

What motor setup are you running? Stock or semi-built motor? How much boost to set for daily driving? Thanks!

Comment

also note that his car is considerably lighter than stock
        Originally posted by ebelements
        Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Well, when my M30 is floored is does about 40km/tank. After I threw the turbo in, it went down to around 25 km/tank. Keep in mind this is when fully racing, not just speeding around. WOT all the time...

I usually get an average of 120/tank mixed.

A decent M20 should be in the whereabouts of 170km/tank if driven nicely.
          sigpic

Comment

my Buddie got 21mpg and hes allways in it. also has a 2.93 rear end. I get 21 mpg in my ix...

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by sticksdaman View Post
              also note that his car is considerably lighter than stock
              With a turbo setup (manifold + turbo + intercooler + other things stock cars dont have), a 6 point roll cage that has to be freight shipped due to size/weight, I would hardly consider the little interior that I have removed to be such a huge weight loss.

My car probably weighs 2600-2700lbs wet.
              EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

I am curious to know if a stock M20 could take a turbo set up? and if so, what boost to use for daily driving?
                I have a 3.97 LSD (or something like that ;-), is it necessary to replace it with a lower ratio, 2.93 for example?
                Sorry for the stupid questions but I am starting to look into boosting my car.

Thanks
                344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

My stock M20 has been taking 2 years worth of monthly drift events, including drive to and from those events. Still hasn't skipped a beat.

It all depends on how much power you're pushing and how much you have invested in reliability.

As the saying goes: "Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two."

Feedback Thread

Comment

I am running a built 2.8 with a HX35, MSnS, 3.73 rear and I am still getting over 20mpg even in the tuning stages. I could probably get 230-240 to a tank easy. On my old 2.5 with everything dialed in I got 27mpg freeway once. (Still with the 3.73) Should only go up with lower gearing.

PS My 200k mile m20 lasted through 2 years of abuse before I killed it. Still drove into the garage for the motor swap. :)
                    :: PNW Crew ::
                    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

wait... ok i got 321 to the tank all highway which is like 25ish a gallon

how are you figuring 170k a tank?
                      Originally posted by ebelements
                      Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

170km on one tank is horrible. that's like 7mpg! if your car is getting that poor of mileage you either have it tuned pig rich or you're WOT 100% of the time. even in my cars worst stages of tune I never got less than 12-14..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

When you guys say 2.8, did you guys bore your original 2.5's?
                          Looking for an e30.....

Comment

bore and stroke, generally. you can't bore all the way to 2.8
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                            X