No announcement yet.

Simon's take on: 'Mess Under the Intake'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dude - I read and re-read your question several times..

I can't answer your question because I would first need to smoke some of the shit you must be on.

Edit: Hey sorry there – that was a harsh answer. But seriously – there’s a vacuum hose from intake plenum to ICV. The ICV is held in place by a rubber strap. The lower vacuum hose from ICV eventually connects to the rubber intake runner. I think what got me about your question is that you should have noted this upon dissassembly(?) When you say “another part to stick the vacuum hose into” – I don’t know what you mean.

The only other thing that connects to the ICV is the electric plug.
    Last edited by Simon S; 10-26-2011, 11:41 AM. Reason: -
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Thanks for the info. Tackling this this weekend along with some other stuff before I start turbo build. :D
      sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
      Build Thread:
      Current ongoing build. Check it out!
      1991 318is 4dr rallycross
      Rallycross Build Thread.
      1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Nice write up Simon. As you said everyone has there own take on 'the mess', and I decided to keep everything stock except deleting the TB heater/plumbing as shown below.

The green stuff is gone and the blue hose is the one I trimmed to make the red connection.

Comment

thanks simon i got it. i've finished the mess already. however this may be off topic but i saw a leak above the flex disk. right above the driveshaft theres this little plug? or something and coolant is leaking. do u know what the part is or what could be wrong?

[/HTML]

Comment

Looks like the tranny output seal is leaking and flinging fluid around.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

how could coolant be leaking out the tranny output seal?

im referring to this plug here

Comment

@Ryann – thanks for contributing. Yep – that’s another way to do it fer sure. Good job on the posted picture.

@randy – shit. Don’t know what to say about that plug – other than to think logically.. and logically – the leak is coming from somewhere above that plug.

What is coolant-related and above that plug?
                Heater core/valve/plumbing.. and per age that these cars are getting – the heater core/valve/plumbing are known leak/failure points.
                i.e. your heater core/valve/plumbing may very well be due for replacement – which is a topic for a different thread.. all I can tell you is that the heater core and valve are painfully expensive – albeit much easier to replace on our late model e30s..

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                  The relief valve isn't something I would delete. The problem is that by the time you realize there's a failure in the system in the cabin, hot coolant is shooting out near your legs. The relief valve provides... well a "relief" for the pressurized coolant that's in the engine bay and not the driver's side footwell. I can't, in good conscious, recommend that it be deleted.
                  For sake of discussion, how does the relief valve function in the middle of an “H” configuration?

Like if a heater core burst (worst-case scenario) – what does that valve actually do in reaction to that? What can it do?

In normal operation – there is high pressure throughout the coolant system – then [let’s say] the core pops and spews coolant in the interior. Does the valve react to that by cutting pressure to the interior feed/return lines? How can it do that in the middle of an “H” configuration?

Or am I thinking about it wrong? Does it proactively/continuously reduce pressure to the interior lines? If that’s the case – I can understand how reducing pressure levels in the interior/core would be [somewhat] preventative in nature to an interior leak failure – but I’m assuming the core would fail per deterioration of use over time regardless.

A big reason I deleted it was because I don’t understand how it serves function. The TB heater plate seemed like a half-ass engineering fix to me – and so did the pressure relief valve..

Edit/correction (11/24/11):

After reviewing my photos - I now clearly see how the valve is not - in fact - in the middle of an "H" configuration.

I can see how it is fully incorporated directly in what I presume to be the feed line to the core.

This means that - theroretically - it could fully/partially? interrupt flow to the core.

But still - how does it function? Does it shut/bypass upon a sudden drop in pressure? Is it constantly in effect - reducing pressure to core portion of the cooling system?
                  Last edited by Simon S; 11-24-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I completed this mod last week. I removed the entire loop from the tb cooling plates and connected the port from the crackpipe (closest to the front of the motor) to the port on the head, about 6" away. Bled the coolant and works fine now. Car will be garaged so I am not worried about the TB freezing at all.

Really simple but I recomend getting a few feet of 5/8", 1/2", and 3/4" hose and several hose size converters to save yourself the agrivation.

One of the cooling plates was completly clogged and I could not clear it so I figured 'why the hell not'. Definitely easier to maintain than the original and I had to replace the crackpipe anyway sicne the top port had sheared off, causing the problem in the first place (leaking coolant, air into the motor, running hot).

Comment

Your heater core is leaking. Replace it.

Originally posted by lookitsranday View Post
                      how could coolant be leaking out the tranny output seal?

im referring to this plug here

-P

Moosehead Engineering

Comment

Nice write up. I'm thankful the PO took care of the mess on my car before I got it.
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Nice write up ...

I've been fighting the 'mess' under the intake for a few days now ... I've replaced all of the hoses that carry coolant, but, there's still a leak under the intake. I suspect is coming from somewhere around the TB heater crap.

Question ...

Has anyone done the TB heater delete set up that runs their car in a winter climate? Has there been any issues with the TB freezing up?

I'd like to eliminate the TB heater and perhaps the source of the leak, but am worried about winter drivability. My 318is is basically my winter car.

Any help would be appreciated.
                          lgb240

`05 E46 325xiT, `89 325i Touring, `87 911 3.2, ' 74 Caterham Super 7 , `71 240z Convertible, `71 240z, `67.5 2000 Roadster, `58 MGA x2, '56 MGA vintage racer, '04 Mini Cooper S

sigpic

Comment

I deleted the hoses going to the heater plate, but I left it in there. I can't see how it would freeze if it doesn't have any liquid in there, just air. I've had no problems since I did the mess under the intake.

One thing you have to rememeber though is to bleed the system really well or you will overheat. That's why i did and had to go back and bleed it 3 times.
                            sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
                            Build Thread:
                            Current ongoing build. Check it out!
                            1991 318is 4dr rallycross
                            Rallycross Build Thread.
                            1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

wait a minute wtf is up with coolant leaking in above picture. as far as i know there are no coolant lines or heater core anything that far back.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                              Ig:ryno_pzk
                              I like the tuna here.
                              Originally posted by lambo
                              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
                                I deleted the hoses going to the heater plate, but I left it in there. I can't see how it would freeze if it doesn't have any liquid in there, just air. I've had no problems since I did the mess under the intake.

One thing you have to rememeber though is to bleed the system really well or you will overheat. That's why i did and had to go back and bleed it 3 times.
                                Thanks for the input. I don't think it's the liquid in the plate that would freeze (it's antifreeze) I'm guessing that it would keep moisture in the air going through the intake from freezing in the intake plenum.

I hear you on the bleeding - what a royal PITA these cars are to bleed. Someone at BMW should have had their peter slammed in the door for coming up with such a sh1tty system that does such a great job of trapping air.
                                lgb240

`05 E46 325xiT, `89 325i Touring, `87 911 3.2, ' 74 Caterham Super 7 , `71 240z Convertible, `71 240z, `67.5 2000 Roadster, `58 MGA x2, '56 MGA vintage racer, '04 Mini Cooper S

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X