Hood Dented... From The Inside?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Dented... From The Inside?!

Hey there R3v Folks... I have an '88 Vert which I let sit for a few months, nursing a freshly broken back. When I drove it to my new shop and changed the oil, I discovered that the hood had a small dent (see photos) ... Pushed through from the inside.

It appears to have come from the bracket on the front of the engine... the question though, why?! Motor mounts appear to be fine. Weird.

Maybe the engine mounts are fine now.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
      Maybe the engine mounts are fine now.
      Lol... Pretty sure they don't regrow ;)

Comment

The only way I can think of for that to happen is for the motor mounts to be bad, possibly one is separated. While a collapsed motor mount is pretty easy to detect, you may not be able to detect other failures with out removing the mounts and/or comparing the mounts with new parts.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Motor mount is broken. How do I know? I had the same issue and sure as shit, my passenger mount was broken. Get it fixed ASAP to avoid further damage. I didn't and now I have a huge ugly paint-broken wart in the middle of my hood.
          1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
          2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
          2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

I have two e30's with bad engine mount dents in the hood.

Comment

My motor mounts were just chewing up lower radiator hoses. Glad this didn't happen.

Comment

check trans mounts too.

I've seen a few engine mounts that looked fine unless you paid really close attention. Then you could see they were cracked all the way round the little rib that runs along the top, almost blends in like it was that way from factory and you can't notice it.

Use a block of wood under your jack and lift the engine a little by the oil pan. You'll see any dodgy mounts real easy then.
                Just a little project im working on
                - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Or open the hood, put it in first, and hold the brake as you let the clutch out.
                  And watch the engine!

2002 engines would hop right out of the engine bay when that happened...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                    I have two e30's with bad engine mount dents in the hood.
                    Hmmm How bad was the body shop bill for those? I ordered new mounts, will replace and then see how much a body shop wants to fix it, I suppose. Heh.

Comment

HAHAHAHA, bodyshop bill. They still have the dent. I'll replace the whole hood before I pay a bodyshop to fix that dent. Find a junkyard hood and cut and polish it.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                        HAHAHAHA, bodyshop bill. They still have the dent. I'll replace the whole hood before I pay a bodyshop to fix that dent. Find a junkyard hood and cut and polish it.
                        Haha roger. I have a parts car with a straight hood. Just scared of the bill to paint it, lol. Thought maybe they could do a dent pull on it... I'm not a body work guy... At all.

Comment

You're looking at $2-300 to have a hood painted, both sides, from my past experience. One side plus removing the dent, I'd assume close to that as well.

Comment

Awesome man, thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                            X