Replacement Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Gas Tank

What is a good OEM replacement gas tank? I know RockAuto has 2 available varieties. One is made by Spectra and another by Dorman. Both are around $200, and I think these are the same brands that are carried by Advanced Auto.

Does anyone know about these tanks and their fitment?

Also, I know there is a similar tank available on ebay that looks just like the one from RockAuto.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-318i-325...-/121573785310
    Last edited by itsonlygeorge; 05-07-2015, 10:48 AM.
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

I put one in my late model E30. Fitment was fine. Siphoning system was garbage, not an issue for a daily driver really, but for spirited driving/ lapping it can be problematic (not an issue for early model cars that have the cross over tube on the bottom).

Comment

Mine is early model, so I either need to reuse the connecting tube or order a new one. It looks like both tanks have the middle tube connectors.
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Comment

I bought the spectra gas tank from autozone and it fits like oem.only difference I noticed between my old tank and the new one is that the old oem tank has a plug on the passenger side and the new one doesnt.
        I bought it for a 1986 325es..
        If you have an early model and plan on dropping the tank I'd change the top hose on top of the tank.
        I reused the little connector at the bottom of my tank.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
          I bought the spectra gas tank from autozone and it fits like oem.only difference I noticed between my old tank and the new one is that the old oem tank has a plug on the passenger side and the new one doesnt.
          I bought it for a 1986 325es..
          If you have an early model and plan on dropping the tank I'd change the top hose on top of the tank.
          I reused the little connector at the bottom of my tank.
          Did you paint the tank or leave the "Ni-terne" Lead-tin coating on the tank? I know some people paint the tank after stripping the coating and I am wondering if that is really necessary or should I just install the tank as is.

Otherwise, the Dorman tank comes already painted, and a coating of Rhino-liner could be easily applied.
          sigpic

Comment

I painted my Spectra tank with two coats of Eastwood Chassis Black.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              I painted my Spectra tank with two coats of Eastwood Chassis Black.
              Did you have to strip the coating first and scuff up the tank?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
                Did you have to strip the coating first and scuff up the tank?
                No, I cleaned the tank with Acetone and then sprayed it.
                The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                X