Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine O2 sensor connector broken

Greetings gents,

So I was replacing the O2 sensor on my 88 325i vert and I realize that the original owner had broken then O2 sensor wire connector that is apart of the car itself. All I have to work with are 4 wires that connect to my new O2 sensor I just bought. 2 questions,
    Can I splice and crimp these wires together?
    And secondly and much much more importantly, what wires go to which and if so can someone post a picture of their O2 sensors color coordinating with each other?

The wire connector from the e30 has 2 brown wires, and black, and a what looks like grey/green while the new o2 sensor has 2 white, 1 black and 1 grey.

What year is your car? Mine is an 86 and only has three pins.

Comment

Late model cars had a 4-wire system. Yes, you can splice it in directly. Search and you will find threads about this.

Comment

It's a 1988 325i.

I searched, but I can't find any other threads about cars with 2 browns, 1 black and one grey. If anyone happens to have this wiring model and post a picture it would be great.

Comment

No luck with any wiring diagrams for the O2 sensor connector from the vehicle itself. Anyone know the color coding for the wire connector? Not the O2 sensor, the connector.

Comment

This is the connector I have. I just need to see what wires connector to what right behind that rubber seal D: D: D:

Comment

I did my O2 sensor recently (1987) and it was a 4-wire. The 4-wire ones have a heater in the O2 sensor for better sensor accuracy. On the sensor side, I remember I had black, gray, white, white. The two white ones are for the heater, since the heater is just a resistor it doesn't matter which way the current flows so the two whites were interchangeable. It sounds like you have the same thing but your whites are browns. I would just hook it up with the blacks matched, grays matched, and browns matched to whites.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo55 View Post
                I did my O2 sensor recently (1987) and it was a 4-wire. The 4-wire ones have a heater in the O2 sensor for better sensor accuracy. On the sensor side, I remember I had black, gray, white, white. The two white ones are for the heater, since the heater is just a resistor it doesn't matter which way the current flows so the two whites were interchangeable. It sounds like you have the same thing but your whites are browns. I would just hook it up with the blacks matched, grays matched, and browns matched to whites.
                Ok thank you! I'm glad someone could help support my guess. I just felt completely lost looking at it for some reason. I'll be splicing tomorrow. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X