Oldskoole34's 1987 ETA coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, let me briefly introduce myself. I am a long time lurker on r3v and when i say long time, i mean since the late 90's, and have only registered recently. I have been into BMWs in general and e30s specifically since mid 90's, before i had a licence. I got my first e30, a Bronzit 86 coupe as my second car in 2000 and took it to close to 600,000km. That was followed by an 85 coupe, a 1990 325i sedan at which point I got into e34s and then sort of left the scene for a while. All these were modified to various extents but never really achieved much, as they were daily all commuters driven year round including Ontario winters with piles of salt being dumped on the roads daily.

I always knew that ill get back into e30s and have been following the market and checking classifieds regularly. About 2 years ago i decided to see for myself whats out there and if something good comes up then pull the trigger. Sadly all i found were rusted out and roughly patched up POS that people were trying to sell for 5-7k. Seriously the amount of junk e30s ive checked out was ridiculous. So i gave up. This summer i decided to try looking again but figured that ill raise my budget if the right specimen comes along. Shortly after i saw this car on kijiji and went to check it out with no particularly high hopes.

The car checked out though and i pulled the trigger on the spot! And for a whopping 3500$ I am back in the e30 game!

So here is the summary:
    She is a 2 owner 1987 Delphingrey on Grey houndstooth cloth manual ETA coupe. The car is basic with manual crank windows, sunroof, pop out rears. All is fully original unmodified and complete. The only mod is a cd player. Luckily the original deck was still around, so i grabbed that to pop it back in.

She has got 212000km (137k miles appx) on the odo which checks out with carfax and its clean to a point of as new as i have seen these cars. Especially the interior. Uncracked dash, spotless seats ( although comfort, so this will have to be addressed), etc.

Body is rust free other that a small bubble on the hood. The car has been repainted though from the drivers door back but the quality of the repair is very good. Windows were pulled etc to respray, and is blended perfectly with only slightly visible orange peel.

The plan is to enjoy it when the weather is right and keep it OEM plus of course.

Some work has already started so in this thread ill document that progress.

And here are a few pics snapped before she went into hibernation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oldskoole34; 01-27-2016, 10:34 PM.

Lovely coupe, big fan of houndstooth interiors!

Base spec e30's are so charming, great find and have fun with it!

Being a long time e30 enthusiast, how big was the difference in prices/condition of most e30's sold today compared tot say 10 years ago?
    Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Looks like a great start man! Love that interior (I would keep the comforts or find some sport houndstooth seats.) and delphin is a fantastic color. Excited to see what you do with this one because it has tons of potential!
      Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
      1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post

Being a long time e30 enthusiast, how big was the difference in prices/condition of most e30's sold today compared tot say 10 years ago?

The last i remember, before i started this search there was definitely more choice and 3-4k got you a clean plastic bumper well optioned e30. 5-6 got you a showroom car with everything you may want. Now the prices have pretty much doubled and a lot of cars have been junked over the last decade so the choice is a lot slimmer. So i think i got a deal with this one at 3500 even though its a base metal bumper car. I was specifically after a metal bumper car this time though.

Originally posted by Matt341 View Post
        Looks like a great start man! Love that interior (I would keep the comforts or find some sport houndstooth seats.) and delphin is a fantastic color. Excited to see what you do with this one because it has tons of potential!

As for the seats. I am working on that situation as we speak.
        Picked up a full sports houdstooth interior for a good price. Drivers side bolsters have rips but i am trying to address that right now with fabric from the back seat. (Not really working out as planned)

The width of the front bolster anthracite part is more than the piece off the back seat. However a part of it will be hidden between the cushions so a seam will have to go there........i have a plan[emoji108]

Comment

Looks good! Subscribed since you're local to me.

Let us know what you figure out with that seat, I've got the same issue.

Comment

So the seats are still a work in progress. Will update once i have anything worth posting

But more excitingly. Fairly recently did this:
            With a help of a little buddy if mine.

Driver side was sagging quiet a bit. Bumper itself was fairly straight.

So ended up dremeling out the hole that for the attachment to the body. Which straightened it out.

End result:

Well not really end result. Still need to figure out daytime running lights.

Still need to do the rear.

Comment

Season opener today. Nice weather dry roads. Salt gone.
              =
              Time to roll out the e30.

Still havent done the back bumper.

Also have a whole interior upgrade stockpile almost ready to go. Just waiting for one final piece to show up in the mail and then do it all in one nice day.
              PS: the piece is coming from Renown. ;)

Comment

Definitely have become a fan of the metal bumpers myself (86 325).
                Considering polishing mine this year!

Comfort houndstooth interior here as well!

Comment

Also in the news. Got that drivers sport seat finished. For those who are wondering: if you have torn side bolsters all you need is a spare rear seat and a guy that can sew.

The width of the rear seat anthracite inserts is not enough to make new pieces for the front from. However a portion of the front side bolster anthracite pieces is hidden by the bottom cushion so what needs to be done is the following. You undo the stitching between the black vinyl and the anthracite cloth. Then from the rear seat pieces you need to cut the shape of the front cloth portion which is sewn to the vinyl outer portion. Try to not waste any material here as there is barely enough to make the end result look proper. Once that is measured and cut lay what you have made on top of the old/torn cloth piece line it up along the vinyl abutting/ curved part and basically you need to put a seam where the piece ends. It will come out hidden (for the most part) beside the cushion and not visible.

This works for both the back bolster and the leg bolster.

I apologize for complicated explanation but it is difficult to put this into words and i am bad at taking pictures in process.

Pre:

There is a visible seam on the top of the back side bolster that could not be avoided due to the amount of material available and the curvature of the piece needed. It isn't noticeable and this works fine for me.

Comment

Weather turned for the better after a crappy start to spring so i jumped in and did a quick upgrade.

Also met the man behind these chips himself while picking it up a few months back. Great guy and makes a killer chip. Best upgrade for an ETA for the buck. Hands down. More responsive, less anemic and even got rid of a bit of a rough/high idle issue i was experiencing.

If you have an ETA get a Mark D chip.
                    *no affiliation

Comment

Quick update:

Finally did the back bumper which i had polished up and waiting for this day since January. The rear was more difficult then the front. Mostly the disassembly with the exhaust getting in the way. Ended up snapping off a bolt, had to get a cut off wheel involved. Overall not too bad of a job.

Made it all fit but the side parts of the bumper seemed to be very "pushed out". Especially the pass side.

Driver

Vs

Pass

Pushed it in and got everything to sit however the hardware on the pass side is pretty strained. And theres still a bit of a gap.

Started raining as i was wrapping up so this will have to be sorted another day.

Final result:

[emoji108]
                      I like

Comment

very nice

Comment

Closed off the holes where the trim was attached today. And took a detour to a local photo spot just to take some phone pics. Planning to do this for real later this summer. Car was not washed and pics were taken with an iphone .

Bonus points if you can spot bird poop on the car[emoji885][emoji90]

I know......the cheesy filter in some of them, bur these are pretty crappy pics

[emoji4]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1463106789.063997.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	7185150
                            Really poor photo of the interior setup.
                            Renown steering wheel mounted on a shitty hub I had sitting around. New shift knob and boot.
                            Sports seats installed.
                            Euro clock installed with cirrus's adapter.
                            Needs a cleanup as I've been daily driving it (almost) for the last month.

Better pics soon hopefully

Last edited by Oldskoole34; 05-13-2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Wow this looks good. Nice wheel and manual windows

Sent from my payphone using Tapatalk
                              1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                              Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                              1967 2002 parts car
                              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Working...
                              X