No announcement yet.

Helmet Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pyrotect has an extra small size that will probably work. Also, you can buy larger or smaller cheek pads to fine-tune the fit. Cheap, too.

If you're going to use it on track, then you really do want an "SA" rated helmet. Now that SA-2015 helmets have started coming out, you can get good deals on the SA-2005's at close-out prices.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Bumping this back up, Im in the market now for one. How picky are places of DOT vs SNELL approval? I found a helmet I like but its DOT, no mention of SNELL

edit: Nevermind found one that was Snell2010 approved and I liked it so bought it.

Cycle Gear has a good amount of helmets for sale. I really wanted one that had a design that had the Shadow CanAm team colors, but it was DOT only. I figure if Im investing in a helmet I wanted to make sure it was going to be something I could use without question.
      Last edited by 2mAn; 11-05-2016, 09:26 PM.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Do not buy a DOT helmet if you plan to do track days and/or any amateur racing.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
          Do not buy a DOT helmet if you plan to do track days and/or any amateur racing.
          Yea I did some reading on it, I made sure I got one that is Snell approved.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Right on. Now that the 2015s are out there are some good deals on 2010s.

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
              Right on. Now that the 2015s are out there are some good deals on 2010s.
              Im happy, ~$150 shipped

Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Nice!

Comment

My helmet expires this year, not just lemons, but ALL race groups AFAIK are requiring 2010 or later this year (many HPDE events will allow dated helmets, or for passengers in most groups)

I also have a 6 5/8 cap size and have been very happy with my Bell Sport size small. Biggest thing I can suggest is get one with removable padding and liners - nothing worse than putting on with 2 month old sweat in it - specially if you are doing endurance racing. Wash the padding like you would a race suit, held up for me for years. Woolite soap, delicate machine wash, air dry.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

For any of my rally-x shenanigans I use an open faced Bell Mag. Cheap, safe, but most importantly it is super breathable and doesn't restrict vision.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Im happy, ~$150 shipped
                      M2010 helmet
                      This helmet will be fine for autocross. A Snell M helmet is meant for a motorcycle, and some/many track organizers will not allow a motorcycle helmet to be worn.

Depends on what you're using the helmet for, really.

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                        This helmet will be fine for autocross. A Snell M helmet is meant for a motorcycle, and some/many track organizers will not allow a motorcycle helmet to be worn.

Depends on what you're using the helmet for, really.
                        haha All these rules... What Snell rating is the one I need to have so nobody will bother me?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

You will want either a Snell SA2010 or SA2015 helmet for automotive use.

The SA2010 will allow you to use it until the end of 2020.
                          The SA2015 will allow you to use it until the end of 2025.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Well, I will get the most I can out of this thing then I will spend a lot more on a helmet. I have a HPDE with the Alfa club this Saturday so I wanted to have something. My buddy has run with them several times with just a DOT motorcycle helmet so I doubt they will give me a hard time.

Not sure why anyone has ever recommended getting a helmet from a Motorcycle shop if its not the right one to be using.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

I just glossed right over the M part of that. I was only looking at the year designation.

The chances are pretty good that if you order the same size of the same brand in the SA model it will fit fine. Order it tomorrow and get two day shipping, return the M one and don't worry about it for five years until it expires.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Well, I will get the most I can out of this thing then I will spend a lot more on a helmet. I have a HPDE with the Alfa club this Saturday so I wanted to have something. My buddy has run with them several times with just a DOT motorcycle helmet so I doubt they will give me a hard time.

Not sure why anyone has ever recommended getting a helmet from a Motorcycle shop if its not the right one to be using.
                                Mine was $150 for a 2005 about 4yr ago. If you shop for 2010, they are about the same price still, but will only be good for 5yr. If you spend another $50-ish for a 2015, you will get 10yrs out of it. I'm not nice to mine, gets tossed around a lot, so I don't mind the 5yr and savings, the old ones get donated to "Kids Racing For Life" or used for fueling.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X