Sputtering Randomly/Dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sputtering Randomly/Dying

So i've been trying to diagnose this weird issue with me 1989 325is 5sp.

the problem has changed over the course of two months so i will go into depth what happened and what i've done.

One day i drove my car to work like any other day no issues.. Went out to grab lunch and the car begun to sputter and bog down at random RPM's in any gear. I pulled over and checked for vacuum leaks, oil leaks, fuel leaks, etc.. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I cautiously drove it to the nearest autozone and put some new NGK spark plugs in the car as i've had a similar issue a long time ago and it was caused by a cracked spark plug. -- Replaced the spark plugs and it changed nothing, car was still sputtering and almost coming to a complete stall while driving. Lights weren't dimming, it was just a complete loss of power.. It would literally snap your neck it was such a dramatic loss.

I grabbed some MAF cleaner spray and sprayed out my MAF and sensors and i drove the car around and it was running fine for the next like 2 weeks no issues. Out of nowhere it started happening again but it's a little different now, if you're driving on a nice smooth road or highway the car runs fine, you can redline every gear.. however if you hit a pot hole or any bump, speed bump, rock, anything it will sputter out and have loss of power.. I thought that was odd and considered replacing the fuel pump, spark plug wires, and coil.. but before i did i wanted to drive it another day or two to see if the problem went away.. And here is where the new problem arises..

I pull up to a stop sign and the car just dies, won't start. Cranks and catches but doesn't even get to an idle.. just dies and keeps cranking. Luckily my friend towed me to a gas station to just fill it up and see if that fixed the issue (I had a 1/4 tank left). Filled er' up and it fired right up and drove no problem (still sputters on bumps, but wasn't dead). I drove it another day and i got to a store and it did the same thing, drove fine to the store went in, came out and it wouldn't start.

What could this be? Interesting part is, you can drive through the sputtering, it's not like a complete loss of power at X rpm. It's at any rpm, occasionally while idling you can hear it bog down and almost stall and it catches itself.

something similar happened to me, and it was actually the electrical connectors on the fuel pump, they had corroded badly and just needed to be cleaned up. After that, ran great again. This is very likely fuel pump related by your description, it could be as simple as mine or you could need a new pump or relay or something.

Comment

Originally posted by cscracker View Post
      something similar happened to me, and it was actually the electrical connectors on the fuel pump, they had corroded badly and just needed to be cleaned up. After that, ran great again. This is very likely fuel pump related by your description, it could be as simple as mine or you could need a new pump or relay or something.
      Funny... I forgot i posed this, and i've been diagnosing this issue all weekend.. ended up switching out the fuel pump for another one i had that i knew worked.. and it was doing the same thing, happened to bump the electrical connection to the fuel pump while it was idling and it cut the car off.

I cut the connectors out of the little plastic shell, and crunched them a bit with a pair of pliers and they stuck on the fuel pump individually much much better.. no issues with the car now. -- Wish i would have checked your post prior

If anyone runs across this issue definitely check the connections.

Comment

Working...
      X