Mounting an iPad Mini Over Center Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting an iPad Mini Over Center Console

Has anyone mounted an iPad Mini in the center console? Would love to permanently mount it of course but I know thats just about impossible. Instead I'm looking to just have it hover over my deck and OBC so when i need to get to it i can just move it out the way and when I'm leaving my car for long periods of time unmount. What i don't want is a mount that mounts to the windshield or top of dash. So maybe thru vents or if there is some way to side a metal bracket between the little gaps from the center console & deck for support that might be something. If i have too ill resort to mounting it under the AC. Seen some stuff online but wondering if anyone here has better solutions.

Photos below of current setup, I been meaning to do a write up on my audio setup so ill just include what i have if anyone is interested, Luke helped me pick out speakers (94 E34), sub (powerbass 10") and amp (MBQuart OA1100.5). I like screens so I gravitated towards this kenwood kiv-bt900 (can match orange interior lighting) & later installed an Apple Airport Express for wireless audio, this deck only can make calls via bluetooth so the airport transmits high quality audio via wifi. Pretty solid, downside boot time is 30-45 secs, i have it on a switch so i can leave it on If I'm going to be gone less then an hr. Has very little draw, some people leave it on for days, i also plastic dipped it Black ;)
    IMG_4792
    IMG_4789

That box could be mounted in many places; I am not sure why you would put it there.

Glovebox. Under a seat. Behind dash or a panel.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I really liked the location for a screen down there, worked out great for me

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        That box could be mounted in many places; I am not sure why you would put it there.

Glovebox. Under a seat. Behind dash or a panel.
        My love for Apple Products. They are beautiful, You don't buy them to hide them :)

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          I really liked the location for a screen down there, worked out great for me

I remember seeing this a while back, funny, i had one of these in the same place as well for a little while back in 2008 when i was working for Circuit City, got one open boxed, this was before I knew electrical so i had a big messy power inverter running it because of its bad internal battery. I don't think an iPad mini will fit in that space though, but with a little bit of custom work, deleting the coins drawer/ashtray that might work out to be a perfect factory looking setup. We just need someone to make a proper mounting kit!
          Last edited by Garrick2007; 12-18-2016, 03:49 AM.

Comment

This is what I'm going for

Thinking maybe with one of these sticky-magnetic mounts might do the trick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q8XGLA6...2JU72INY&psc=1

Another thing that caught my eye the other day were these 1 Din 10"+ decks with detachable monitors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ6ybmc3ON0 runs Android. BOSS makes 1 as well, these blew me away, my kinda stuff, finally the car stereo receiver industry is innovating some what. Its been so boring for the past 10 years. There are 5" 1080p touch screen phones but we are still getting brand new in 2016 old school LCD decks basically as an only option for single din's, its a joke.

Comment

If anyone was wondering i was able to pull off the iPad Mini Mounting by ordering 2 of these guys here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Before i get into that i also replaced the Airport Express solution and went bluetooth, i opted for a faster connection time (3secs vs 30+ after boot up) auto connect which the airport wouldn't do but had to sacrifice sound quality in the process because its bluetooth but honestly sounds really good. Being my deck doesn't do music over bluetooth i purchased a Bose BT adapter and wired it to turn on and off with the deck http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-Bluetoo...-/322453226623 Very flawless and easy install. Now to the iPad, One mount worked alright but would move around when turned corners and even fell a few times over bad roads here in the bay area. With 2 this thing is rock solid and still gives you that cool floating look I was looking for. Only downside is you'll block out 70% of your center vents but the good thing is you can always adjust it as needed. The iPad is the best solution for anyone looking for a "pop out deck" media center system in there car if your in the apple eco system. Originally i was looking at car play compatible decks but honestly they suck due to safety regulations. With the iPad mini if i want to text someone i can, if i want to listen and occasionally glance over at a video podcast while on HW 5 on the way to LA i can and makes a load of a difference. Way better then installing a Apple TV as well. Last thing i need since this iPad isn't cell ready ill have to purchase a stand alone GPS receiver which works over bluetooth. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006M49G80...I1PVOF1JCZCIUO This will allow me to theater from my phone for data and use maps to navigate.

With a sound/media system ive been thinking about for over 5 years and probably over $1300 spent its finally done... for now :)

Comment

Working...
              X