Headlight Pull Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Pull Switch

Does anybody know how to rebuild this? Mine requires a lot of jiggling and pulling for the dash lights to come on. I opened it up and sprayed some contact cleaner in it, but no change.

It looks rebuildable just like any other German switch from the 80s - any ideas?
    Last edited by c0rbin9; 12-03-2016, 04:32 PM.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

worn out. im sure its easier to just buy one for 10 bucks from someone parting a car.

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Sure it's an easier solution, but is it a better solution?

Comment

I never had a problem with headlight switches. They are pretty robust but sometimes oxidation builds up on the traces or a track may lift up which may be the case here with your switch. A good cleaning never hurt though. You may be able to repair it if you're savvy. I think I happen to have a late model switch laying around with the circular pins.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
          Sure it's an easier solution, but is it a better solution?
          why don't you do some R&D for us and make a write up on how to redo your headlight switch?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I've had this happen on my 318is. Had to jiggle/punch/tweak the headlight switch knob/rod combo to get the dash lights to illuminate with the headlights.

Just replace it. I got one used out of a JY car I think and it's been great ever since.

-NICK

Comment

Ah, so I'm not the only one.

To be fair, and this is probably something I should have mentioned, but this problem surfaced only after an incident where part of the switch melted. Still, I thought there ought to be a way to repair it since it's a cunning mechanical device of springs and contacts, rather than modern electrical devilry.

Comment

^ the reason is that the headlight switch has more pin outs than just "head lights" and "parking lights." There are like 10 pins and they all go certain places. (this is also one of the places you can tap in to get your fogs to come on independent from your headlights). So if you switch gets stuck in between one of those contact points or if it gets dirty you'll end up with some of them making contact while others are interrupted.

If your switch has melted, you might want to err on the side of replacing it. The repair for something which has melted is to throw it as hard as you can in the trash for being a weak POS and get a new part.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

So this problem has come up again. I replaced the switch with a used one, and it worked well for about 4 months. Now the switch has melted again and the interior lights don't come on, just like before. So I guess there is a short somewhere, just don't know where. Could be rain related.

Comment

Driver side kick panel has the relay for the ceiling lights. I bet it's full of water.

Comment

Will check that, thanks.

Comment

I took a head light switch apart once. IIRC it was a PITA to work with.
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Update: I turned the lights on for my drive home from work like usual, and as the sun went down, I realized - what's this? - my interior lights work! So it seems to have fixed itself.

We haven't had rain in a while so Zeke's suggestion about the relay seems plausible. Will check that when I get the chance.

Comment

Well, it is back to not working. Could this be related to the wires behind the head unit? I recently rewired the head unit and it's a bit of a rat's nest back there.

Comment

Working...
                            X