Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

524 turbo diesel header and turbo 300 bucks cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fozz325ise
    Hey guys, was just wondering what the outcome of this thread is then?

Is this the 324td manifold you are reffering too?

I've always interested in talking turbos, especially as I'm only weeks away from mine being fitted.

Cheers,

Fozz.
    yup that looks like an M21 manifold wich don't fit on an M20 petrol engine.

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
    1997 E36 328iT
    1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
    1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

Well that is what I'd like to discuss, see it does fit, with some minor mods that is.....

The ports need enlarging and a few extra cut outs, but it sure does fit......also I have heard that the manifold from a Volvo 740 (turbo) also fits onto the M20, I need to check with a friend to see wether that is correct first.

If you look at the pic you can see were the mainfold has been adjusted to fit....

Just wondered how you guys had come to the decision it won't fit really??

I personally have a 6 branch custom manifold, much better allround performance that these log type manifolds, although not as compact.

Fozz.

pic of what mods need doing:

Comment

I have heard that same thing as you. Just porting is neccessary. now its not the best flowing manifold but it does work. Check e30tech.com , theres over 30 turbo guys there and i know at least 2 of them are building turbo motors right now and they are using that manifold. goodluck!
        90 325is
        IE stage 3s and refeshed m20....

Comment

-I really wanna see the gains of that system
          especially the powerband

-The 2.4td manifold is made for a good flow on low RPMs
          also I think the diesel turbo's can't handle high RPMs like petrol engines

-IMO you can compare it with an eta inlet manifold on an 325i with CAI.
          You'll add the same amount of HP wich you'll loose on the bad shape of that manifold, it's like an zero operation

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
          1997 E36 328iT
          1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
          1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

That's what I thought too, but after reading through the whole thread it seems that some people have very strong views on this and would not even consider that it might fit, strange but I suppose we can all be wrong some days! :D
            I'll try that site too, never been there before and as soon as my little monster is purring away I'll have some pics to post up and hopefully some power graphs too, just gotta wait for the weather to sort itself and then WOOOOSHHHH...........CHIRP!! :evil:

Fozz.

Comment

I've heard that 250bhp is very poss with the 324td manifold.......too restrictive for much more really......

Comment

Everyone is well aware that the modifications pictured must be performed for it to fit a m20 head.

Denis was claiming nothing needed to be done to it, that it bolted right up.

Denis is a habitual liar.

Denis is banned from this forum.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                  What a fucking moron. He hasn't got a clue.

the 524td manifold is garbage, and it DOES NOT bolt up to a m20 head. the turbo is some dinky pos, and your car does not have 200hp as is.
                  Jordan, the above is what you posted....seems to be quite a concrete statement.....would have thought more information in the reply would have been better....maybe "the 524td manifold is garbage, and it DOES NOT bolt up to a m20 head without some modifications..."

Apologies if that is what you mean and I just didn't quite get where you were coming from.

On another subject, dealing with the new fuel requirements of a turbo, which method have you guys used?

FMU? / RRFPR / Stand alone ecu / Megasquirt..etc etc....

Cheers,

Fozz.

Comment

Someone else in the thread it was established that it required modification.

also (for me anyways) "bolt up" means a direct fitment, not grinding off metal to fit.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Agreed, bolt up or bolt on or plug and play are the easy ones!! :D
                      Cool, just wanted to make sure both e30 lands are running on the same info......although we don't many 2.4td units in the UK to butcher anyway. Most of the turbo conversions (5 at the mo) are either running custom manifold and downpipes or the std manifold reveresed or with a additional pipe to bring the turbo back up towards the top of the engine. The only one M30 3.5 turbo I've seen runs the alpina B7s turbo manifold....but there are only a handful of them in the world these days.....

Proturbo do good cheap turbo manifolds too....

Comment

I suppose since my pictures are being used....i should give a little input.

The 524td manifold can easily support over 300whp. You have to understand how a turbocharged motor works. You don't have to have badass headers that flow increadibly well...and scavenge the cylinders on a turbo motor like on an N/A motor. Using a tubular equal length turbo mani really isn't necessary unless you are wanting to push more than 500whp....of course they are more efficient....and are obviously better.....just not NEEDED.

During a g-tech run where the motor was rough tuned with a NB sensor....I put out 268whp while only boosting ~9psi....and only taking it up to 5500rpm or so (just to be cautious...since it wasn't tuned..and i wasn't sure if the AFR were staying rich with my finicky NB) I used a 3000Lb vehicle weight....which accounted for myslelf and a 200lb passenger. My car probably weights less than 2700lbs....so make the power output 250whp to be conservative. You can check out my website to get all the stats on my setup.....but the 524td mani can put out some numbers. Obviously the setup is not tuned or finished yet...because i'm a student and low on funds, but in a month or so...it should be tuned, have a new clutch, and ready to rip.

Just check it out for yourself. http://jdturbocharging.com

Comment

Working...
                        X