• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hah, owned! :)
    Can I get a high five?

Comment

Bmwdude

WELL...i WAS running a T3 60 trim (internally wastegated) with a starion intercooler and 2nd DSM BOV. It was controled via SMT-6 and larger fuel injectors and a MAP sensor that replaced the throttle deflection on the SMT-6. I used the pro-turbo manifold adapter, used the oil-pressure sensor as the oil tap and drilled a hole in the pan for the drain. I ran about 7 PSI for a couple months before deciding that i didnt have the time to/money to deal with the extra strain a turbocharged car would put on my wallet and sold the entire system for 1400 dollars, which is now being used as a base for a European trip.

what kinda system are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by E30godz
        Bmwdude

WELL...i WAS running a T3 60 trim (internally wastegated) with a starion intercooler and 2nd DSM BOV. It was controled via SMT-6 and larger fuel injectors and a MAP sensor that replaced the throttle deflection on the SMT-6. I used the pro-turbo manifold adapter, used the oil-pressure sensor as the oil tap and drilled a hole in the pan for the drain. I ran about 7 PSI for a couple months before deciding that i didnt have the time to/money to deal with the extra strain a turbocharged car would put on my wallet and sold the entire system for 1400 dollars, which is now being used as a base for a European trip.

what kinda system are you running?
        Hi there E30godz. Here is the basic rundown. M20 3.0L stroker, 8.5:1 Forged pistons, almost stock freshly rebuilt head, etc, with after market knock sensing system. The turbo is a TO4E 60 Trim/P-trim with 0.58 AR on the exhaust side. The intercooling system is water to air. I'm using a healthy RV water pump to circulate the water, with a 5 gallon tank in the trunk (to balance out the extra weight added at the front ;) ), and a couple of extral oil coolers up front to help cool the water down at speed. The present engine management system, is essentialy a stock Motronic 1.3 (no chip obviously...), with a 535i AFM and larger injectors, and of course, the mandatory Cartech/Begi FMU. This setup ran very satisfactorily with lower boost I must say, but now that I've increased boost to the 11-12 psi range, the limits of this setup have been reached or should say, exceeded. I'm getting ready to buy stand alone engine management, and so far leaning towards the Electromotive system, although there are a few other European makes with more competitive prices that I've started to look at in the last few days on the net. The car is in storage for the winter, so I have a few more weeks to make the final plans on which engine management to go with.

You mention Proturbo. I really like their turbo manifold! It is probably the best braething design out there. Mine is a log type unfortunately. In fact, once I'm done with the engine management side of things, the last thing that will be bugging me about my whole toy, will be the Cartech design manifold that I have. Don't get me wrong, it does the job, and looks VERY stock. The turbo is almost under the engine, so that heat is not really a problem in the engine bay, and you almost can't see anything. That's the thing though. With the proturbo manifold (I'm not talking about the adapter model...), I will ONLY install this once I have enough time and money to make a nice vent, on the right side of the hood, as for those who don't know, the Proturbo manifold locates the turbo on the right top side of the engine. Temperatures will increase with that location.

I haven't had any reliability issues at all with this setup. In fact, keeping boost at a respectable 8 psi, the car runs like a jewel. I was almost using it as my daily driver to work. If it wasn't for those losers who don't know how to open up a door in a parking lot, or don't give a shit about your shiny car, and how much trouble and time it took you...($100 Zymol wax anyone?), and puting a dent in the door, I WOULD take it to work everyday! I'm kind of dissapointed you sold your system. At 7 psi, I do not see why you had "strains" to deal with. In fact, all one needs at 5.5-7 psi (MAXIMUM mind you!), is a well tuned car to start off with, you can use the stock injectors, a small air to air intercooler, and most important, a FMU. That's what the Mosselmann turbo system is, and they are very good systems. Bolt on, drive off. BUT you have to be realistic in your goals. Most people get addicted to power, and end up going over 8 psi...the rules of tuning start to change there. Perhaps you already know about this ;) .

Comment

not so much a strain...but more of a change in priorities.

im already of thinking of doing it again (this time with more knowledge/mechanical knowledge ;) )

but i cant wait for it.

Electromotive? Where are you purchasing it from? They are pretty damn expensive yea? You seem to be sparing no expense with this project! I would suggest megasquirt mainly because it has a huge E30 turbo ho down at e30tech. Im not sure of the knowledge of that system here (i could be wrong) but any local tuner (read: dyno) probably offers a tuning whatever.

water to air intercoolers rox ; )

Comment

Originally posted by bmwdude
            I'm talking from experience dude, and if you DID have any, you would know that the prices I quoted are new prices. Not rebuilt.
            Yes i was mearly stating that for an economical approach reman turbos are perfectly ok.
            as for experience, what do you need there cowboy? I got a perfectly running setup of my own.
            In my experience, the remanufactured units that i have seen have been fine.

But if you want to be a dick about it, Fuck you and your 3 liter.
            and low i got your high five right here...
            -p

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCip
              I'm talking from experience dude, and if you DID have any, you would know that the prices I quoted are new prices. Not rebuilt.
              Yes i was mearly stating that for an economical approach reman turbos are perfectly ok.
              as for experience, what do you need there cowboy? I got a perfectly running setup of my own.
              In my experience, the remanufactured units that i have seen have been fine.

But if you want to be a dick about it, Fuck you and your 3 liter.
              and low i got your high five right here...
              -p
              You must in no doubt, be one of the "weenies" that people on the other forums, are warning people to be wary of here. Why am I being a dick about it? "What do I need there cowboy?" Go and read your original paragraph on this thread on the first page.

I can go on writing and give you a true sense and taste about your ego, but doing this pretentiously behind computer screens truly is for the acne cream chasers. Lets stick to car talk, or actually E30 talk, and help the guy here with his turbo project.

Yes remanufactured turbos are ok. Tell us about your turbo set up, so that ELG, can find his true destiny on the path to turbo.

Comment

Call me what you want, perhaps my original statement was a bit harsh. But frankly i don't give a shit. I'm just sick of teenagers giving massive amounts of misinformation. And i immediately assume everybody falls into that category (lets face it they run rampant on these forums.) I'm a dick, i know it, and I’m ok with it.

Back to cars.
                I am currently running a T3 super60 on a proturbo manifold adapter.
                M20 is engine.
                Spearco front mount intercooler.(2.5 charge pipes)
                Megasquirt Fuel Computer.
                www.wbo2.com 2A DIY kit
                water injected.
                APEXi dual chamber blow off valve. (mounted after the intercooler)
                MSD timing retard.
                I run 12psi, and its a daily driver with no problems..
                dynoed at 7psi last summer and it read 225whp and 246ftlbs of torque(fuel curve wasn't tuned as well as i would have liked). at that point I was using a MAF conversion by split second, but its capabilities were quickly limited. I thought the system as a whole sucked, so i sold it.
                Now that the megasquirt is in the car runs great. I’ll dyno it again near the end of spring to make sure all is in check.

as far as the super60, it might not be perfect for the power i am putting out now, but i have run 15psi with it with hardly any troubles.
                I may be going down the hybrid route one of these days.
                -p

Comment

Originally posted by Screaming_bmwe30
                  i have a "budget" setup outlined on my website.

I have two "stages" check out which one interests you....or both :)

the main reason i built the site was to help newbies who really weren't sure where to start building up a system from scratch. I was in the same boat as you guys at one point. Check out the whole site...you may find info that saves you time and money when building your setup.

First I have to say awesome site, great for a relative newbie to forced induction (read ME). I have been thinking about ditching the M52 project due to the cost and lack of a work space since moving 3 hours away from a garage and having only one car now. I was interested in doing the stage 1 type set up as a temporary set up until I get the knowledge and time to go with a more extensive/powerful set up that would take more down time for tuning and wiring.

From your first set up you were running no stand alone system what so ever? If this is the case I see this option as easy. I have quite a few friends with tons of FI experience with VW's and Hondas so they would deffinately be helping me along the way.

Comment

The guys at TCD have gone to great lengths to prove that using the stock ECU witha RRFPR can achieve safe and dramatic results. I believe that they have been working on a "turbo chip" that retards the stock timing a bit as well.
                    Perhaps you could talk to Todd about their experience. I use a stand alone fuel computer as well as a retard/lbboost setup, so i can't really comment in this field..
                    You need to figure out what situation best suits your needs as well as how involved you want to be in the tuning aspect.
                    After that its just parts hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCip
                      The guys at TCD have gone to great lengths to prove that using the stock ECU witha RRFPR can achieve safe and dramatic results. I believe that they have been working on a "turbo chip" that retards the stock timing a bit as well.
                      Perhaps you could talk to Todd about their experience. I use a stand alone fuel computer as well as a retard/lbboost setup, so i can't really comment in this field..
                      You need to figure out what situation best suits your needs as well as how involved you want to be in the tuning aspect.
                      After that its just parts hunting.
                      The TCD guys have great experience with the M30 engine as far as their custom chips go. I don't believe this to be so with the M20.

I myself have gone the FMU/larger afm/larger injectors/stock ecu route up to 10-11psi. The power was nice, but all pride aside, not as refined as I would have liked. This route is a good "budget alternative" but with my personal experience, once you hit the 10 psi range, and need to swap to larger injectors on the M20, if you want to pass emissions, have no occasional black smoke in the back when running the car hard, stick a wideband monitor and show you progressive healthy fuel readings as boost increases per rpm and throtte position, you are best to go with stand alone. More expensive yes, but in the end, less headaches. This is of course if you are going over 8 psi/or wanting anything over 260 flywheel hp. Otherwise stick to the tried and tested fmu route.

Comment

The TCD guys have great experience with the M30 engine as far as their custom chips go. I don't believe this to be so with the M20.

I myself have gone the FMU/larger afm/larger injectors/stock ecu route up to 10-11psi. The power was nice, but all pride aside, not as refined as I would have liked. [/quote]

They[TCD] could provide you with some insight, however, to get the project rolling..
                        As far as bigger injectors, they're a must for the "higher" horsepower configurations. I am running 24lbs and am looking to upgrade to 30+lbers in a few weeks. Megasquirt is a viable standalone setup, and the DIY kits from www.wbo2.com are affordable and accurate.
                        Some fuel for thought.

Comment

Yes. 30 pounders sounds good. Mine are 32.5 actually. I'm using the LM-1 wideband for tuning purposes. I think that it's one of the best out there. As for the Megasquirt, it's a good DIY kit, again for the budget minded. I setting myself up for either an Electromotive unit, and/or a couple of European ones that have just come out on the market, and seem to be a hot item with E30 M3 users in England. I've yet to make a decision. The FMU route for me is starting to get old. Its limitations are too obvious. On the M20 that is. The M30 is a different story. And yes, TCD does have experience with the M30. I've talked to Todd in the past......

Comment

Definately go for the MegaSquirt. It is easy to set up and work with, and if you modify the trigger wheel you can have full spark and fuel control.

This is what I am running with 16psi and the car has never run better. Ditch the FMU.

Comment

I have a split second.....It only works well with a Wideband thought so i bought a innovate. I have a 89 325 and the only reliability problems i have had is that my trbo shaft bent and basicly ruined it. But i think i am going.
                              1989 Turbo 325is
                              87 ETA Dinan Stg 2

Comment

Working...
                              X