Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Does anyone have a control arm bushing press for rent in the South Jersey area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Does anyone have a control arm bushing press for rent in the South Jersey area?

My mechanic is letting me use his shop to work on my car, which is awesome. I decided re-do the front-end suspension because all of the bushings are worn. Well, long story short, I could not get the lollipop back onto the control arm. The mechanic does normally have a press, however it's broken right now so I'm SOL. Everything is off of the car and the bushing just will not go on the control arm. It's on there a little bit but not all the way.

Does anyone in the south jersey or Philly area have a control arm bushing press tool that I could rent for one day? I need it on Monday, but I can pick it up tomorrow, Sunday.

Or if anyone has any suggestions where I could rent such a press. I looked at Harbor Freight and the usual auto stores (online) but was not able to find something that could work. I will go to hunting through stores in person tomorrow to see if I can find something, but figured I'll ask here as well.

You don't need a press. Dawn Dish Soap on the bushing, and shaft of control arm. Muscle it on there. If installing delrin same soap but set the control arm on the ground with the shaft "bushing" portion facing up start the bushing on the shaft. get a socket a bit larger than the shaft. Place socket over the bushing and around the shaft, tap with a mallet.

Where are you in south jersey?

Comment

I'm in the Cherry Hill area. Muscle didn't seem to work even with soap. These were the M3 centered bushings so maybe these have less give than stock?

I ended up going to Home Depot and built myself a DIY press, worked really well! I followed the picture from this page: http://www.rtsauto.com/control-arm-b...ools-and-tips/

All I needed was 2x 3/8in all-threads, 4x washers and nuts, and a steel bar that's shown in that picture (had to cut and drill the bar). The rest - harmonic balancer puller and socket I got from the mechanic to use. In total I think I spent about $20.

Edit: although your idea of pushing on the control arm from the top probably could have also worked...

Comment

Sorry I forgot I posted here a couple days ago, im in the cherry hill area too. Right next to Route 70 and 130. Thanks for sharing your press experience, it'll help the future generations :)

Comment

That's why I love the forums, all this knowledge! Too bad e30tech forums are down, that's a lot of lost DIYs :(.

I'm at the 70 & 73 intersection btw, other side of CH.

Comment

Working...
          X