Tach's dead - cluster swap or SI board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach's dead - cluster swap or SI board?

My tach stopped working the other day. The light still works and all others gauges work fine.

I have a spare cluster. What should I replace? Can I take the tach unit from the spare and swap it on to the original? Should I swap SI boards? Or replace the batteries in SI board? What would be the best thing to do??

I've searched the board already, but bc I have a spare I wanted to post something to see if I should use the spare or replace the SI batteries/board.

Can you do an SI reset? If not replace the SI batteries and that will probably fix the tach problem.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

it could be any number of problems with the cluster.

the tach could be dead, so could the si board... or possibly the coding plug.

Comment

i guess what im looking for is who's had this problem before and what the easiest, or BEST fix is.

eventually i will do the trouble shooting myself bc i have the spare cluster. im just looking for a chance to fix it right the first time.

by the way, the original cluster has 180k in a 91 318is and is a MotoMeter cluster. the replacement/spare has 140k and is also a MotoMeter but not sure what its from. can a 325i tach go in a 318??

Comment

Ya my tach is on the fritz right now too, it likes to stick at 2.5k rpm quite often and is getting worse.

bump for more ideas/past experience
          sigpic
          1991 Diamantschwarz 318is
          1998 Cosmosschwarz M3 Sedan

Comment

anyone else have any input on this??

Comment

Check a 7.5A fuse that is between positions 18-24 after a 30A fuse...in any event, if none are blown, have the car running/on and tamper/move/push these fuses and see if the RPMS work

had a bad contact problem on mine and got fixed by slightly bending a tab on this 7.5fuse and its all fixed.
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
              X