Wideband sensor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wideband sensor question

Hey r3v, was doing some research regarding a wideband o2 sensor and was wondering if the Innovate LSU4.2 would work on my car.

I've been digging around looking to see what I need to make the switch because I would like to install an AFR gauge but what keeps popping up is the megasquirt pnp unit or the Innovate LC-1
    Web Designer / Front End Developer
    My Portfolio & Website

IG: @w_illriderz

aem makes a nice unit, i have one and i like it. Nice quality, nice harness, works great, no calibration necessary
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
      aem makes a nice unit, i have one and i like it. Nice quality, nice harness, works great, no calibration necessary
      I would, but I wanna pair it to a custom AFR gauge that I can pop into my stock hvac panel
      My Portfolio & Website

Comment

i think someone on this board makes a little gauge that fits into the speaker fade control spot.
        sigpic

Comment

You can install an afr gauge separate from your narrowband o2 and let it function on its own for readings.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
            i think someone on this board makes a little gauge that fits into the speaker fade control spot.
            Yea, I believe it's George graves that makes them. But idk if he's still doing them. I haven't been on here in a while, I gotta shoot him a PM

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            You can install an afr gauge separate from your narrowband o2 and let it function on its own for readings.
            The afr gauges that work with a narrowband are the led indicator type aren't they? The ones that show actual numbers only worked with the wideband input I thought
            My Portfolio & Website

Comment

Right, and there is a complicated annoying way that everyone in he world has trouble with to splice in the wideband afr into your motronic so that it replaces the narrowband as a whole and function as your only o2, but the success rate is low.

I originally had a divorced setup with my narrowband functioning on its own giving intfo when my car was turbo on a draw-thru setup. Had the wideband reading me AFR on its own for my sanity.

Now since I'm on Megasquirt, my wideband replaced it entirely as Megasquirt has an input for it in when you connect a single wire to your original o2 wiring.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ky0u View Post
                The ones that show actual numbers only worked with the wideband input I thought
                That's correct. Just think of it this way....A narrowband sensor has two values it can output. Rich or lean. It's doesn't know anything in between. (Turns out that works great for a stock ECU)

Widebands actually show numbers - and they mean something. You can say "My AFR is 12 and it should be 14 something" - it's something you can measure.

Right, and there is a complicated annoying way that everyone in he world has trouble with to splice in the wideband afr into your motronic...
                There isn't much advantage to running one wideband and having it simulate a narrowband and fedding that into your stock ECU IMHO (other then the $40 it costs to get a second bung welded up). Just more things to go wrong. So for people that have a factory ECU or a factory ECU with a chip(non-megasquirt kind of people) then keep your narrow band and add a wideband "divorced" as AK calls it (totally separate). That way you can an eye on your expensive motor swap, and your factory ecu/chip will be totally happy with it's good-running, tried-and-true, narrowband at the same time.

Yea, I believe it's George graves that makes them. But idk if he's still doing them.
                Yea, I still make them. I was going to take a order for a small batch of them soon. PM me if you want to get to the front of the line.

Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I originally had a divorced setup with my narrowband functioning on its own giving intfo when my car was turbo on a draw-thru setup. Had the wideband reading me AFR on its own for my sanity.
                  Originally posted by george graves View Post
                  Just more things to go wrong. So for people that have a factory ECU or a factory ECU with a chip(non-megasquirt kind of people) then keep your narrow band and add a wideband "divorced" as AK calls it (totally separate).
                  Can someone explain the divorced set up? Is there then 2 sensors? One for the ecu and one for just the gauge?
                  My Portfolio & Website

Comment

Yep - you got it. The "divorced" set up you want looks like this:

Wideband sensor-->--wideband controler--->--gauge.
                    Narrowband sensor--->--ecu.

Comment

you want this with the NTK sensor much better than LSU 4.2

i know many pro tuners recommend this as great BFYB, they wouldnt touch cheap innovate crap.

i use it and its excellent
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

^lol Never even heard of those guys. And it's not even programmable and seems to only have one output. I'll stick with innovate - you can get a full set up on ebay for $150. www.ebay.com/itm/400907148279

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

i know many pro tuners recommend this as great BFYB, they wouldnt touch cheap innovate crap.

i use it and its excellent
                          :^(

Innovative has worked for my car for the past few years. I've killed 1 sensor though from immense blow-by when I hurt my motor long ago, but the sensor comes from a VW Turbo Beetle(?), so it's not really a variable in my review.

My tuner also uses innovate

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I think most factory ECU's have issues with the narrow band signal produced by a wideband. I could never it to work on my turbo moostang either.

I am currently working on mounting one of these where the 'Check" light is in the cluster. its a perfect fit for the hole and accepts a serial input. It is designed for their controller but ive read somewhere it may work with whatever wideband you have that has a serial output (most all do except the 14point7.com stuff i think)

Last edited by Coupelx; 11-08-2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X