Bogging issues with lightweight flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging issues with lightweight flywheel

Has anybody else experienced bogging after installing a lightweight flywheel? I went with the E21 M20 flywheel and now I'm thinking it is too light. I have to rev it up to at least 2k before letting the clutch out or it will bog and almost stall. Thoughts?

Also, why am I reading that M20 starters are hard to find??

Sounds normal. I stalled my car a couple of times after I did the lightweight flywheel swap. It is simple physics...the lighter flywheel stores less kinetic energy, so when you start moving the car you will need to be more careful with the clutch and throttle to smoothly deliver the engine's power to the wheels. Rougher idling, more delicate starts and probably weird rattling noises from the tranny are all side-effects of using a lighter flywheel on the M42!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Even with the "double M42" M60 I have the very same issue with a lightweight flywheel. It may be annoying at first, but you'll soon get used to it. Frankly, the M42 seems most enjoyable when you wind it out everywhere, so the downsides of a lightweight flywheel are less noticeable.

Where did you read that M20 starters are hard to find? It's simply not true in the US.

Comment

2k is way too high. How light is the flywheel 6lbs?
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

About the starters, I was reading on m42club but maybe they were talking about another market, not the US.

The flywheel is very light, just a hair above 12lbs.

I'm OK with it I guess, as long as it's something other people have experienced. The engine is definitely happier at high RPMs. I just finished a swap into my E21, haven't quite worked out all the bugs but I'm happy so far.

Comment

I don't have any issues with mine, give it a bit more gas, you'll get used to it. The first time I drove mine I stalled it first time starting out.
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Yep, you can borrow torque to make horsepower and borrow horsepower to make torque. What you do relates to the way you want to drive the car.

You can dial it back in with your differential ratio if you like the change.

Comment

i have a lightweight single mass flywheel and have never had to go that high. i can get in gear barely tapping the gas at like 1000 rmp and pull out fine. sounds off to me
                i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post
                  i have a lightweight single mass flywheel and have never had to go that high. i can get in gear barely tapping the gas at like 1000 rmp and pull out fine. sounds off to me
                  Than your´s is probably not as light as the topic starter.
                  I could drive away with my original m42 (euro, single mass) flywheel at 1000rpm. can´t do that anymore with a light m20 one

Comment

Working...
                  X