Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed for a speed sensor!

I swapped my e30 4.10 lsd for a 3.46 z3 diff and
    We swapped the output flange from the e30 diff to install them in the z3 diff , they look a bit different but they are the same length and diameter and they fit ! How to get the speedo working ???? any advice please

Any advice ?

Comment

use the sensor that fits the rear cover, and splice the connectors if you have to?

The physical shape of the sensors changes around but the electrical part
      stays the same- reluctive sensor and a 9- flag tone ring (or something along those lines)

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks for the help !
        I tried to swap the sensor from the e30 into the z3 unit it doesn't fit , it has one side longer .
        the original cover And the sensor still on the diff, and the plug from the e30 fits but how to splice it ?
        Is the z3 reluctor ring is the same as the e30? Means can I just swap the rear cover from the e30 diff into the z3 diff?
        Last edited by E30dxb; 08-10-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... last question first- try the cover swap.
          The ring did move, but I am drawing a blank as to when/which cars.
          If it fits, count the fins- again, I recall them being the same, but I was
          mixing parts from several diffs, on several cars... If you look at it, it will
          be pretty obvious (if you measure) if it'll work or not.

Sorry- I just don't remember what worked with what...

As to splice, it's not polarity sensitive- it generates an AC signal,
          and the speedo knows what to do with that.

hth
          t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
          X