Engine Idle question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Idle question?

Since ive moved to Seattle, I only drive my car maybe 70-100 miles a week... and sometimes it sits for a couple days at a time. After it has sit for a while and I start it up, the idle is kinda rough, and seems to bounce around a bit. When I push on the throtle, it kinda seems like it struggles to raise rpms, and has trouble staying in idle for a second. I let it warm up a bit and it seems to be fine.

My question is: Is this normal, or is there something I should be concerned about and start looking into?

- An additional note, my car is in a garage, which is fairly well insulated/heated.

Thanks for your time and help,

Brandon
    Brandon

I had the same problem when I just bought the car and I did a full Tune-Up. New cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and oil change. The problem then went away.

It also sounds like the time my battery ran low in charge when I left a portable cooler plugged in. get a battery charger and let it fully charge, then test to see if the same startup problem exists.

Comment

I would check plugs before I touch anything, and start from there.
      95' M3.
      90' 325i Turboed.
      87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

My car used to do that if I didn't drive for a day or so, mostly when it was cold. It's not too much to worry about. Do like Chesster said and do a tune-up, should clear everything up.

Comment

idle control valve may be sticking, intake leak, bad cold start injector, Tune up?

Also when was the last time you replaced any of the filters?

Comment

Could be your AFM, cap and rotor, or the idle control valve. If its hesitating when he gives it gas doesnt that exclude the fact that it could be the idle control valve tho since it only work when the engines not under load?

Comment

I just had a bad idle issue after my 3.0L stroker rebuild was completed.......after tinkering with the M30 AFM, replacing the ICV, swapping out chips & more tinkering with the M30 AFM, I found that the coolant temperature sensor was sending crazy temperature signals to the ECU. I opened it up and found that the sensor was badly corroded.......swapped in a new one and the idle is fine now.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
              X