Turbo M10/S14 hybrid???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo M10/S14 hybrid???

Ok i know of the 1.5 liter m10 engine used by BMW that maxed out the Dyno's at 1500 hp back in the 70's and 80's but how feasible would it be to create a near similar engine out of an m10, possibly putting an m3 cylinder head on an m10 block stroking and then turboing it? I'm always into doing something different so i figured id ask. How feasible would it be to make 250 to 300 hp off turboing it and stroking it? I want a high reving powerful motor and i knwo the blocks can take a lot of boost

the 1500 HP ran about about 5 bar and lasted 500 miles....not streetable...it ran on an 84% toluene mixture (i think) that has an octane rating of about 114. i also believe it ran dual spark plugs per cylinder.and various other expensive things..but what do i know..im fucked up.

Comment

my take: if it was as simple as slapping X bottom end to Y head with Z compression and W turbo and it made huge power, everyone would be doing it.
      BEERTECH

Comment

exactly. there's no way u'll get even close to that formula one engine without as$ loads of money......actually, it may be better to just keep an eye out on the german ebay. those m13 beast do pop up every once & a while....as well as the IMSA m12's

but realistically, u can build a streetable turbo m10 to make +300hp.....and i'm sure u could probably build a turbo s14 to make a lot more.
        m10 engine build photogallery

Comment

The turbo F1 qualifying motor was just that-----a turbo, F1, qualifying motor. Over 1200rwhp designed to last 20 minutes to get a few laps in, on 45 pounds of boost.

Listen to what Rob said.

Comment

well duh i know im not gonna get anywhere near 1500 hp on an engine that would last for a long time and be reliable, and im sure if we could we would all have that engine, im talking about a more conservative hp amount such as 250 or 300. But still use the same basic motor as the F1 engine AKA 4 cylinder turbo M10

Comment

Re: Turbo M10/S14 hybrid???

Originally posted by bkelsey86
              Ok i know of the 1.5 liter m10 engine used by BMW that maxed out the Dyno's at 1500 hp back in the 70's and 80's but how feasible would it be to create a near similar engine out of an m10, possibly putting an m3 cylinder head on an m10 block stroking and then turboing it? I'm always into doing something different so i figured id ask. How feasible would it be to make 250 to 300 hp off turboing it and stroking it? I want a high reving powerful motor and i knwo the blocks can take a lot of boost
              I personally don't know the answer to this -- I would imagine that you could get some good power out of it, with a 16v head and all those revs --- look at the Honda guys running superchargers etc on their 16v-4's. I would definitely think that 250hp+ is both reasonable and reachable with the combo you're talkin' about, and a bit o' boost.

Furthermore, if you decide to try it, lemme know --- I'll drive up to ATL to help you on the weekends :D

Comment

Or you'll drive down to Texas since thats where i live.................

Comment

Originally posted by bkelsey86
                  Or you'll drive down to Texas since thats where i live.................
                  Hahaha - thought you were in ATL for some reason ;)

Sure - I'll drive to Tx - where in Tx....?

Comment

50 miles south of Houston

Comment

That motor can be seen at www.320i.com along with a lot of good turbo M10 info. The Webmaster of the site is a great guy, he's helped me out a lot with my project.

Matt

Comment

^ yeah thats a great site...i heard fiiting a 320/4 head to the 1.8 m10 provides a sufficient compression drop for a turbo application.
                        sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

M10/S14 Hybrid

Have a look at this site it may inspire you http://www.lauparacing.com/ the engine is an M10 with an S14 head and turbo it has run 8.58 @251.8 km/h but if you only want to make 300hp you can do that with an M10 head and save a small fortune on the custom crankshaft needed to put the S14 head on an M10

Comment

Working...
                          X