Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'86 325E Timing Belt - Difficult for a Noob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
    I guess the only problem with this job is the things that might go wrong, which might hickup newbies. Old car brings unknown issues. stripped bolts, rounded bolts, stuck things, generally it is the things that go wrong that take up all the time and cause problems.
    How very true. I've spent lots of time undoing a hack job that could have been properly and quickly if done correctly.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thank you everyone! I've not decided yet, too many honey-do's.

Comment

I got my e30 almost a year ago mainly as a project car and to teach myself how to properly maintain/rebuild a car. Up until that point I had only done oil changes, light bulb replacements, other random and insignificant jobs.

Since getting the car I have removed and replaced the dash, a blower motor/resistor, spark plugs, fuel injectors, valve cover gasket, and reupholstered my back seat and driver's sport seat. I've done all of this in my driveway and with limited tools (I basically buy them as I've needed them).

I'm actually just in the middle of my timing belt service. It took me several hours to remove everything, but that was mainly due to the previous owner over-torquing the shit out of every, single bolt. I've had to stop, unfortunately, because when I went to grab the brand new water pump I noticed there was quite a bit of surface rust on the impeller. I'm going through the RMA process right now (ECS makes you pay for your own return shipping, BTW) so it'll take even longer than I anticipated.

It seemed like a super scary job to do at first, but after reading several guides and watching some videos over and over I became more confident. I still have to finish the job, including replacing the camshaft seal, but I think it'll all come out as it should since I've followed all the directions and will be torquing bolts to spec.

Comment

Timing belt is super easy. Watch dan cronins videos on YouTube. Also when it comes time to install your water pump, use vaseline for the gasket.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X