Help please.. no start when I turn the key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please.. no start when I turn the key

the car has been running fine.. Today even.. Multiple perfect starts and stops.... I changed the light bulbs in the instrument cluster.. That's all I have done todsy..... All lights work all electrical components work...
    I didn't take off the steering wheel...
    Is there a logical explanation?
    Help.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Originally posted by chefpeterlevine View Post
    the car has been running fine.. Today even.. Multiple perfect starts and stops.... I changed the light bulbs in the instrument cluster.. That's all I have done todsy..... All lights work all electrical components work...
    I didn't take off the steering wheel...
    Is there a logical explanation?
    Help.

It was just running fine right after I put it all back together.. Now all of a sudden I am dead...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Check your fuses. Check your battery.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

All fuses good.. Battery strong.. Connections solid.
        I'm gonna see if there is power to the starter.... Seems the logical place to start....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Batteries can show correct voltage but may not supply enough amperage if an internal crack or failure is present.

Comment

Please define "dead". Do headlights work? Is the fuel pump humming? If the headlights work, what happens when you try to start the car? Clicks? Headlights go dim?

When putting the speedometer back you could have loosened a wire going to the ignition switch? That's about all that comes to mind in that area other than the fuses which you say look good. Power to those fuses? But that goes back to my initial question.
            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

everything electrical lights up and works strong. headlights, fogs, ICV electrified, power everywhere. battery voltage is maxed. windshield wipers, blinkers etc.. all dash lights are on as normal... final key turn to start and nothing happens... no clicks, nothing.

i couldn't imagine which wire could have come loose?? like i mentioned earlier, i didn't take off the steering wheel for this so the ignition wasn't compromised at all... or so i think... i surely was careful and delibrate
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A ground go bad?

Comment

If the starter solenoid doesn't click when the key is turned to start, the solenoid could be bad, there could be a problem in the start circuit, or the engine ground could be bad.

Remove, clean and re-install the engine to chassis ground. Then try jumping the starter by applying power directly to the solenoid start lug (make sure the car is in neutral or park). If the start turns the engine then you know the problem is in the start circuit, otherwise it is a bad starter.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

jlevie.... nice blind diagnosis.... I'll put that to the test...
                    thanks man....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

ok... i have voltage at the starter and i can jump the starter and it works there... the solenoid didn' t have any juice... i pulled the lower dash and found that one of the relays was hanging apart slightly.... put it all back together, what a rats nest of wires... the car turned over... still ... the brake lining light is on... after inspecting the sensors...i found a broken wire to my right rear brake wear sensor. replaced it with a friend and the light remains on in the cluster...
                      wouldn't the light go out automatically after replacing? is there a reset i am missing?
                      i think i might pull the cluster again and make sure all the wires to the pigtails are perfectly seated and connected... otherwise i am at a loss...
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X