ECU going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU going out?

Well my car has been spontaneously dieing and sputtering and throwing check engine lights. It left me stranded at a Napa where there was a who looked at my car and checked for codes he himself was driving a newer BMW, he told me that it threw a Engine control >blank< I forgot what else he said. But ti was along the lines of me needing a new Computer! anyone know of these going out. I looked at the computer box and it had rust on it? Is this normal?
    00=[][]=00
    1987 325
    K&N Air Filter
    Custom Lowering Springs
    40 Series Flowmaster
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681355

DMEs can fail, but the cause of your problems are just as likely to be from other factors (intake leaks, bad AFM, fuel issues, etc). Only after ruling out other possibilities should you consider swapping out the DME.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If your ECU case has rust on it, I'd suspect the inside is corroded also. If you have a friend with an e30, see if you can try their ecu for an afternoon. Or simply open yours up and look at it, if it looks corroded and crappy/broken connections, then it is like mine was and junk. You can get them around $50 or less at parts yards.

Comment

Working...
      X