Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Air Flow Meter and Turbo?

Hey yall,

I am brand new to the forums and also to E30s. I recently bought a 1987 325i that had an aftermarket turbo kit installed on it. With this I noticed the original Air flow meter is plugged to the front of the turbo with an air filter on it. Should I leave it there or reinstall it where it is at the throttle body? Or the best thing i could how is remove it all together somehow. I am just wanting the best set up and would enjoy any feedback. Thank yall so much!
    "Penny" - Single Turbo 2.5L 1987 325i

It needs to be in front of the turbo as is.
    In simple terms, the ecu isn't smart enough to use the AFM as a blow-through system the way you're inquiring.

Best solution is to get a standalone unit like megasquirt and get the most out of your setup.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

only problem with the way you have it set up is if you have a blow off valve that vents to atmosphere, but how its set up is correct until you change to a standalone ecu.
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Thank you so much guys. I'm new into the forced induction and E30 world. Is megasquirt the only way to go or is there any other options?

Comment

Originally posted by greenguy103 View Post
          Thank you so much guys. I'm new into the forced induction and E30 world. Is megasquirt the only way to go or is there any other options?
          No it is not. Many people including myself run stock computer system with a tune. I have a MAF in front of the turbo like yours is. I got my tune from SSSquid. Do not change it towards the intake manifold. Leave it infront of the turbo so it is being used as a draw-through system (as the tune is probably set up for). The BOV being after does not make enough difference to cause you to move it. SSSquid explained that to me.

The best way is to go Megasquirt however, you can still stay with the stock ecu. I would recommend you to go Megasquirt though.
          Last edited by Chris Spiegl; 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM.
          1987 325is 2.8L Stroker Turbo "Little Pickle aka The Green Turbo Sled"

Comment

Thanks a ton. I'll mostly just go with the MegaSquirt. Its what everyone is really showing me as best.
            Last edited by greenguy103; 01-09-2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X