Auxilary fan switch on radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxilary fan switch on radiator

Been fighting with my a/c all summer. Works fantastic if I hot-wire the compressor. Worked perfectly last summer. Anyway, just noticed that the green and black wire on the auxiliary fan switch is broken off the connector. Could this create a fault in the a/c system that would shut the compressor down? Gonna go pull a new connector later today on a scrap car and solder it in but was curious if this could be the whole damn problem.

This happened on my 318is: The fan resistor was not making good contact with the wiring harness so the fan wouldn't come on when the AC was turned on. After a few minutes the freon got too hot and, I assume, the pressure built up until the high pressure switch in the dryer kicked on and turned the compressor off. Once I cleaned the contacts on the resistor all was good. Long story short; is your Aux fan coming on when you turn on the AC?

Comment

There is also a resistor in the front mounted to the aux fan that tends to go bad.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

No, the auxiliary fan is not coming on.

Comment

If it's not turning on, this is almost certainly the problem with your compressor, and you definitely shouldn't hotwire it anymore. It'll just keep building pressure till you blow whatever is the weakest component on the high pressure side. Fix your aux fan and everything else should work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X