No announcement yet.

From Boost to Reliable. M62b44 Swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger side is an unmodified e53 manifold, we are going to have to do a little conditioning to make them work.
    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
      Passenger side is an unmodified e53 manifold, we are going to have to do a little conditioning to make them work.
      Gotcha. What is the problem? Where the flange goes down to the exhaust?

Or not enough clearance between the frame rail and manifold?

Comment

Does it clear the E30 firewall, or does it need to be carved up before the engine even goes into the bay?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
          Gotcha. What is the problem? Where the flange goes down to the exhaust?

Or not enough clearance between the frame rail and manifold?
          Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Does it clear the E30 firewall, or does it need to be carved up before the engine even goes into the bay?

I'll let Matt chime in on those questions, I havent had a chance to actually see the headers in the car yet.

Unrelated update, sold the esms and had these shipped over from Germany!

1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

One step closer!

To clarify, I was asking if this manifold clears the firewall and/or frame rail.

Comment

quick question, that is a five speed trans correct? thats why you had to weld the cps tab on the front timing cover?

also if it is the five speed, the original duel mass flywheel was compatible with it?
              M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Yep, using 5 speed tranny. We welded the cps mount becasue we converted the motor the OBD1, garagistic's website http://garagistic.com/index.php?page...-using-m60-dme helped a bit with the modifications need and we used a feeler gauge on a complete m60 to get our spacing correct.

For the flywheel I went with an e39 M5 dual mass flywheel, with e39 530i clutch.
                1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Yep, using 5 speed tranny. We welded the cps mount becasue we converted the motor the OBD1, garagistic's website http://garagistic.com/index.php?page...-using-m60-dme helped a bit with the modifications need and we used a feeler gauge on a complete m60 to get our spacing correct.

For the flywheel I went with an e39 M5 dual mass flywheel, with e39 530i clutch.
                  Thank you I appreciate the feed back!
                  M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

where did you get the flywheel from?

Comment

Originally posted by whysimon View Post
                      where did you get the flywheel from?
                      I looked around and finally found the flywheel used off of a 55k mile m5 on ebay. It looks good with no hotspots so I'm going to run it as is.
                      Last edited by Zacm829; 02-08-2015, 09:06 PM.
                      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Long overdue update, Mattdk ended up moving farther away but to a house with a big shop and he added a lift. I headed down last weekend to put in some wrench time.

Much easier access on a lift!

First since we were able to get the car in the air, we decided to tackle finishing up the transmisson and driveshaft. Needed to lengthen the shift carrier and selector rod. Also threw in the e36 m3 drivesharft.

1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Next we set her down on the ground and noticed the cam position sensor (M60) is being contacted when the motor is turned over. Anyone modidfed the cam wheel like in this thread to run an m62 obd1? http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...l-modification

Anyway back on the ground.

We had pleanty of examples to compare the m62 with to make sure we had the correct sensor.

Parked the topless mt2 and called it a night.

We spend most of saturday working on the oil filter relocation. After several ideas and attemps we decided to move the filter housing to behind the passengers headlight. We repurposed some m20 oil cooler lines and added some DOM tubing, after and lot of tack welding and finalizing I think it came out pretty well. We still need to pressure test and paint it.

Still need to weld/paint to finish this mounting plate up.

The big hurdles left are power steering lines and wiring. Also some small odds and ends to tie up after we figure out this cam sensor issue.
                          Last edited by Zacm829; 07-28-2015, 11:15 PM.
                          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Woohoo, progress!

Tell Matt congrats on the new digs.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks man!
                              sigpic

Comment

The shop is chaos, still dont have any of the equipment hooked up. Slowing getting everything where i need it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X