Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 Street/TimeAttack (+ E36 V8 Turbo Touring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

Well I have a gas lens kit too, I had a regular cup attached when I started to weld these and to be honest it'll do just fine in most cases. I'm more concerned about the size of the WP26 torch :D Maybe I'll replace it with a WP20 some day...
    Facebook - MRT Engineering
    eBay - MRT Engineering
    Instagram - mrtengineering
    YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Whoa!

The fab stuff ITT is awesome.

It seems like every build thread from across the pond is a masterpiece. This one is no exception.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by Miuge View Post
        Thanks!

Well I have a gas lens kit too, I had a regular cup attached when I started to weld these and to be honest it'll do just fine in most cases. I'm more concerned about the size of the WP26 torch :D Maybe I'll replace it with a WP20 some day...
        True, but definitely useful for longer sickout in tight situations. Have you ever used one of those clear pyrex cups? They seam pretty cool. I definitely like a smaller torch as well, way more maneuverable.

Originally posted by 2mAn
        The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Amazing fab work! I wish I had your skills.

But I'll never understand the mentality behind building such an intense, highly detailed race car... and then running $700 eBay coilovers :|
          -Alex

Comment

Here we go again.. Not the first time I try to explain why I chose those coilovers 3-4 years ago :)
            They aren't exactly the worst knock off parts, neither the best you can get, I know they've been succesfully used in timeattack and drifting series for years. The kit is customized to meet my requirements, based on estimated weight, width, tires, use, etc..

For me it's more important to get this car moving than squeeze the quarter of a second off lap times. Next level coilovers would cost 2½ - 3 times more than these, I can get much more useful things done with that money.
            eBay - MRT Engineering
            YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Here we go again.. Not the first time I try to explain why I chose those coilovers 3-4 years ago :)
              They aren't exactly the worst knock off parts, neither the best you can get, I know they've been succesfully used in timeattack and drifting series for years. The kit is customized to meet my requirements, based on estimated weight, width, tires, use, etc..

For me it's more important to get this car moving than squeeze the quarter of a second off lap times. Next level coilovers would cost 2½ - 3 times more than these, I can get much more useful things done with that money.
              Man, IMO, anyone who questions your judgement about anything on this car can piss up a rope. You are clearly one of (if not) the very best fabricators on r3v. Don't waste your time explaining things, you just keep building.
              Originally posted by Andy.B
              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
              1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

wow, just wow. Did you teach yourself the fabrication skills you have or was it something you went to school for? Great work man.

Comment

I can relate... my car has been sitting for quite some time as well so I understand where you're coming from. I wasn't saying that for the sake of being a dick, just surprised is all. You clearly know what you're doing. Don't mind me I'll go back into my corner :)
                  -Alex

Comment

LOL all feedback is welcome and I'm not that easily offended :) I know I have my strong opinions about things I have chosen or done, but I might be wrong as well, yet it's hard to say because this car isn't finished..

I studyed engineering in university of applied sciences, it helped a lot in designing stuff and now it's more like a hobby to me :) I've always loved fabricating and mostly it's learned just by doing and practising.
                    eBay - MRT Engineering
                    YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

wow! great job on this build!
                      89 325i 4dr s52
                      02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                      21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Thanks!

We just finished some new parts and they're for sale ;D

More info here:
                        eBay - MRT Engineering
                        YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Whoa, the fabrication going on in this thread is pretty wild.

Comment

I've seen lot's of discussion about damper/crank hub related problems in M30 engine builds lately. I found out some Finnish builders have used ATI 2JZ damper in their builds (both M20 and S38), but I wanted to have some facts before heading to buy one. That made me contact ATI directly, luckily I did, because they didn't recommend using 2JZ damper, probably because it's low weight/inertia (for M30). Their recommendation was bigger 7" damper for a SBC so I started to search one..
                            One very slightly used item showed up on eBay so I had to buy it :)

I'll have to fabricate a new crank hub and trigger wheel to make it fit, a good thing that's a serpentine damper so I can directly drive my alternator belt with it:

Some time ago I had to acquire couple of aluminum chunks to fabricate some engine flanges, the first one was oil pickup plate I made by hand. Still need to add AN10 fittings to draw the oil line to remote oil filter sandwich plate.
                            eBay - MRT Engineering
                            YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

Yesterday I spent few hours thinking about the damper solution, first I gathered critical dimensions of the orginal damper, crank and hub, then I moved on designing new parts.
                              Chevy hub is much sturdier than M30 hub, but changing the crank front seal to a next ID size I could grow the wall thickness :)

Everything seems to fit rather well, trigger wheel could be located behind the damper which means orginal sensor location could be used, also belt line remains pretty much the same as orginal of course the v-belt pulleys should be changed..
                              eBay - MRT Engineering
                              YouTube - miugemrt

Comment

First off, I love how your doing this to an M30. It's awesome.

Curious to see the complete serpentine set up, will you still tension with the alternator mount?

Also how will you mount the trigger wheel behind? It is my understanding the three non-countersunk holes on the damper were for attaching accessories.

Comment

Working...
                                X