No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next we have a little change of plans in the seating department. At the beginning I was planning on going E36 vaders, still love those seats but I decided to go in a different direction especially since I wasnt sure what i was going to do with the rear seats.

Well......seats are out, the vaders are for sale, I found a set of front and rear E30 M3 seats! They are tan but I planned on redoing them anyway.

I bought them off a guy on the board, picked them up today and immediately dropped them off at John's place (Ninestitch) to reupholster them in black leather with red stitching to match the door panels and center console that I bought.

I am pretty excited about this, I like keep it a bit more period correct with E30 parts (except the S54 of course).

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

So as I stated before I have the entire Mtech II kit, including the rear spoiler. But I am back and forth if I keep that or I go with the Mtech I spoiler, its a little more low key and sleek.

Thoughts?

Comment

Looking good fellow Chicagoian!!

Keep up the pics/updates.

No opinion here on the spoiler.

Comment

Nice ride!
          Jeez the PO wasn't messing around when it came to wire gauges ha?
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
            Nice ride!
            Jeez the PO wasn't messing around when it came to wire gauges ha?
            Yea he wasnt lol.

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
              Looking good fellow Chicagoian!!

Keep up the pics/updates.

No opinion here on the spoiler.
              I was away from home for a few weeks, I think my door panels are in!!

Comment

And they are in!!

The quality is really good in person. I will hopefully get them on soon to see how they align.

Comment

Sub'd

Comment

Ok bunch of work today, although the work just led me to find that there is much more work to do.

So I finally got the old carpet out, the PO did a whole bunch of dynamatting, which would have been nice too keep, but I really needed to know if I had a rust problem, plus he dynamatted over all the wiring which I know is a mess.

So I ended pulling it all off.
                    Wife Got involved a bit.

Here it is with Dynamat

And after painstakingly removing every bit of Dynamat the floor is bare!

Comment

Now to the rust, not too bad, most of the orange color you see just the adhesive from the dynamat.

There are two areas of concern, I believe this one on the drivers side is just surface rust but I need to sand it out and see.

This next one is worst, if I poked my screwdriver hard enough I am pretty sure it would go right through the floor. Also there is a bit on the rocker side below the speaker as well.

Comment

Ok so now onto the next part, the wiring, ahhhhhh it drives me nuts.

So the mirrors dont work, I have changed the fuse, the switch and the actual mirrors still nothing. I havent had time to trace the wiring yet but I have a feeling something is cut or shorted in there, it seems the PO tapped into so many things I dont know where to begin.

Here is the other thing, my wipers stopped working. I replaced the relay but that didnt do anything.

So now onto these three relays that were under the steering wheel. I dont know what they do. So I tried unplugging them one at a time and then started the car each time, it started each time I removed one. Then all of the sudden my wipers started working again. I was thinking well ok I got something to work at least. But now the wipers stopped again. God I hate electrical gremlins. There doesnt seem to be anything on the wiring side the PO didnt touch :(

Btw does anyone know what this plug is in this last pic, it wasnt connected to anything and one of the wires (red and black) was cut.
                        Last edited by Staszek; 08-16-2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Last thing, the PO relocated the hazard switch and the defrost switch to the center console. Since I bought a new center console I wanted to move them back into the original location. Here is one of the things he rewired that actually wasnt horrible.

You can see the long wire that they extended

Comment

A little update today, finally put new tweeters in the pod. Really not doing much until I get the rust fixed.

I did order some Koni yellow adjustables and H&R sports though, so I can at least work on that later.

Untitled by
                            Untitled by
                            Untitled by

Comment

I was able to get the dome lights working, I know its little things but I am pretty pumped about that because I figured out what the guy did with all the wiring that he cut. I think I can figure out the mirrors now as well.

Anyway another small update, I am crawling right now, I have to get the rust fixed before I start putting everything back together.

John at Ninestitch is starting on my interior, my new leather arrived and he got my M3 seats all striped down!

Untitled by

Untitled by

Comment

Little things add up to a finished project!!!

Going to Vintage Fest tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X